HE400S or DT770 for EDM/Trap/etc.
May 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tyler91

New Head-Fier
I'm am currently zeroing in on my first quality pair of headphones to purchase. My music preference, as stated in the title, is EDM, Trap, House, etc.

I've narrowed down my selection to a few cans, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80, Hifiman HE400s, and I'm open to other suggestions.

My maximum budget is $400.

Here are a few of my favorite tracks to get an idea of what kind of sound I like.

Here is a link to my full soundcloud profile if you want to see my full collection.
https://soundcloud.com/tyler-a-9

Any insights are very much appreciated.
:)

May 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Checkout Massdrops Fostex th-x00, they are perfect for edm

May 18, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 7
The DT770 is a closed-back headphone, but the 400s is an open-back headphone. The 400s will be very leaky and loud, and this is something you should consider if you don't want to disturb the people around you.

Also, I'm of the belief that headphones are not really genre dependent, or at least not the way people think about them. If you listen to bass-heavy tracks on a bass-heavy headphone, you're gonna get a muddy and boomy bass instead of a clear and well-balanced sound. A bass-heavy headphone on a bass-light track though, like 70s rock or classical, may be an improvement...

My suggestion to you would be the Audio Technica M50x (closed-back) and DT-990 (open-back). For Beyer Dynamic DT-990, if you don't have a powerful amp, go with a lower impedance version (32 ohms). Both of these are excellent headphones and well within your budget, and you don't really need to spend more money unless you're looking for wireless/noise-cancelling headphones.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 7
The DT770 is a closed-back headphone, but the 400s is an open-back headphone. The 400s will be very leaky and loud, and this is something you should consider if you don't want to disturb the people around you.

Also, I'm of the belief that headphones are not really genre dependent, or at least not the way people think about them. If you listen to bass-heavy tracks on a bass-heavy headphone, you're gonna get a muddy and boomy bass instead of a clear and well-balanced sound. A bass-heavy headphone on a bass-light track though, like 70s rock or classical, may be an improvement...

My suggestion to you would be the Audio Technica M50x (closed-back) and DT-990 (open-back). For Beyer Dynamic DT-990, if you don't have a powerful amp, go with a lower impedance version (32 ohms). Both of these are excellent headphones and well within your budget, and you don't really need to spend more money unless you're looking for wireless/noise-cancelling headphones.
Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look at the 990s and M50s.

May 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 7
You might also check out the HD650, which has less rolled off bass than the HE400S does. It's possible it could work for you. I just listened to your songs on my HD650 and it sounded quite good--FWIW.

May 20, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm am currently zeroing in on my first quality pair of headphones to purchase. My music preference, as stated in the title, is EDM, Trap, House, etc.

I've narrowed down my selection to a few cans, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80, Hifiman HE400s, and I'm open to other suggestions.

My maximum budget is $400.

HE400S is a lot easier to drive, just make sure whatever you plug it into doesn't have a high output impedance.

On the flipside, the DT770 is closed back, so the isolation can partly make up for the efficiency while also sealing the bass notes better. If bass is that important then get the Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back