He400i or X2 or... ?
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Huckle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,
As my birthday is coming soon, I'm thinking : new pair of cans :wink:

I'm looking for full size open headphones, and I got two in mind : Hifiman He400i and Philips Fidelio X2.
Maybe I haven't checked at the right places, but I can't find a clear comparison between those two...

I want my next cans sounds warm, with tight bass, zero sibilance and the best imaging possible in their price's range...
What would you guys recommend between He400i and X2 ? Do you think about something else ?

I'll mainly drive my new pair with ak100  / macbook pro + JDS Labs C5 dac.
Many thanks for your answers !

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your answer !
Sure, I'd love to listen to these cans before my purchase, but if it's ok for the X2, I haven't found a website with a nice return policy for the He400i... By zero sibilance, I mean I regularly have trouble with treble. Most of the Grados (and say : Beyer T90 etc.) do hurt me... I'm surely more on the dark side :wink:

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Zero sibilance is tough, and listening is the only way to test and know if you can handle the treble.  I have experience with both, and I didn't find either particularly bright, though I would say I have a decent amount of tolerance.  For reference, I find the AKG K702, Hifiman HE-560, and Sennheiser HD800 bright.

If you wanted to go with a safe bet, I'd go with something like the HD600/650 or maybe an Audeze if you could stretch the budget.

If you concerned about returns, I've had no problem with Amazon when returning headphones that didn't work for me.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Ah... Audeze... Actually I'm thinking a lot about the new EL-8... It wouldn't be wise to think about superior models :wink: 
But it seems a bit too early to figure the EL-8' sound signature...

I've listened - and loved - the previous version of the HE-400. If it wasn't so heavy and un-comfy, it would actually be mine...
But it seems the HE-400i tends to be brighter, right ? I don't know in what proportions, though...

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi Huckle, in my limited experience, my X2HR is a more neutral sounding but had more bass despite being open back. I did not have the sibilance issue, but if you have.. just do some EQ to reduce the highs a bit. The 400i is a bit more forward and definitely more detailed. but I have to say both have their own strengths and weaknesses, and quite different in character. If you are going for either, try them in your own system and musical favs.I feel everyone will have a diff experience.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm treble sensitive and have no issue with the X2HR.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 8
I own and listen to both. The X2HR/27 is more fun to listen to due to the sub bass emphasis. It is by no means boomy or full of distortion and the treble is nicely accented so cymbals and chimes are never lost in your music.

The 400i 2020 version is an excellent headphone too, but it lacks bass impact around 100hz. Properly driven it is an excellent semi-neutral headphone that punches way above its price point.

The X2HR/27 will not let you down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back