He400i or any suggestions?
Aug 10, 2016 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sanotter

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've had the dt990s, k702s and alpha dog primes. Unfortunately, the primes's were too good, and although I sold them, even with the rubbish fiio e10 I have, I have a thirst for more.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but there was just something so different and new about my music with the primes.

I've got a budget including amp of around 5-600gbp, and the main criteria besides audio quality is the comfort overa long period of time. I have loved both the dt990 and k702 for their infinitely comfortable designs.

Thats actually why I ended up sellijg the primes. They were just too unwieldy and heavy for my use.

So my primary thoughts as of now are to go for something like the he400i with an ifi unit of some kind. Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm assuming that you're easy about the headphones being open or closed backed, so with comfort in mind, the HD600 might be your cup of tea, or the HD650. Given your thoughts on the DT990, the new DT1770 might be worth a look too, although this might squeeze you budget if you require a DAC/amp as well.

However there is a really nice low cost item which Fostex has released -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fostex-pc-100usb-hr2-volume-controller-usb-dac-black.html

This is really handy as it's small, USB powered and the volume knob is easy to get to.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 4
  I'm assuming that you're easy about the headphones being open or closed backed, so with comfort in mind, the HD600 might be your cup of tea, or the HD650. Given your thoughts on the DT990, the new DT1770 might be worth a look too, although this might squeeze you budget if you require a DAC/amp as well.

However there is a really nice low cost item which Fostex has released -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fostex-pc-100usb-hr2-volume-controller-usb-dac-black.html

This is really handy as it's small, USB powered and the volume knob is easy to get to.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the hd6xx but it seems to me that I probably won't notice that much of a difference between them and my k702's of current. I've looked at the dt1770 and am interested in the dt1990 coming out later next month, but I'm not sure how much they'll be released for. The amp suggestion is nice, but I already have a fiio e10 which is equivalent of that.. 

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back