**He400 vs Hd650**
Oct 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 53
I've order a Q Cable for my hd650...where are you Steve. I'm not much on cables making a big difference in the sound but I love the feel of the Q cable. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 53
Very nice review MattTCG. 

The more reviews I read on the HE-400 makes me think that's the way I should go, but my heart tells me I want the HE-500. I just wish there was somewhere local that had these so I could go listen instead of having to make a decision based on words. UGHHHH!!

I am more looking for something to "compliment" not "replace" the HD650. Something a little more "fun" sounding for those times when I just want to rock out. I am treble sensitive so I have to be cautious with not going over-board on the "fun" factor. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:
I've order a Q Cable for my hd650...where are you Steve. I'm not much on cables making a big difference in the sound but I love the feel of the Q cable. 

I think you are a little crazy for spending that much on a cable, BUT I can understand it. It's completely unique, VERY handy, looks nice, and a long-term investment in amazing cans.

Very nice review MattTCG. 

The more reviews I read on the HE-400 makes me think that's the way I should go, but my heart tells me I want the HE-500. I just wish there was somewhere local that had these so I could go listen instead of having to make a decision based on words. UGHHHH!!

I am more looking for something to "compliment" not "replace" the HD650. Something a little more "fun" sounding for those times when I just want to rock out. I am treble sensitive so I have to be cautious with not going over-board on the "fun" factor. 

Yeah....try the 400's first and then you will forget about everything and just enjoy the music :p

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #20 of 53
Very good review, but Matt will be upgrading to LCD’s now….

I am using HD-650 for past two week and it sound sig is very intimating, it lacks subbass and packs treble in mid-range. But sweet mids is too good for vocals and now that my ears are used to HD650 mids....it refuses HE400, vice versa for Electro.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 53
Great review, I am about pull the triger to the He 400

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 53
I have a Sennheiser HD-650 with upgraded Silver Plated OFC Cable.

It made me sell my AKG Q701 & Ultrasone HFI-2400.

Q701 sounded too narrow and focused too much on mid range, while the HFI-2400 sounded dark and concealed (due to that metal plate covering the speaker. S-Logic my bootyhole.

Nice review by the way. I'm looking for a HifiMan-HE500 to pair with my Sennheiser HD650 but can't find any under $699. Anyone know a place? :rolleyes:

~ Tim

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 53
Quote:
I have a Sennheiser HD-650 with upgraded Silver Plated OFC Cable.
It made me sell my AKG Q701 & Ultrasone HFI-2400.
Q701 sounded too narrow and focused too much on mid range, while the HFI-2400 sounded dark and concealed (due to that metal plate covering the speaker. S-Logic my bootyhole.
Nice review by the way. I'm looking for a HifiMan-HE500 to pair with my Sennheiser HD650 but can't find any under $699. Anyone know a place?
rolleyes.gif

~ Tim

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639135/hifiman-he-5

:p

Great review/writeup btw!

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #27 of 53

HE-500 > HE-5's.

I agree with Matt, the Sennheiser HD-650 are SPECTACULAR. What i always wanted in a headphone. However the treble might be a little too smooth for most people.
People have told me the HE-500 wins the HD-650 over nearly all sound aspects. The only things it doesn't win is in terms of weight and comfort.

Even David from "Battle Of The Flagships" Puts the HE-500 ahead of the HD-650 in terms of Sound Quality and Value.
However, i am not looking for a headphone to replace the HD-650. It is too comfortable and the smoothness puts me to sleep (good thing). Kind of like a mother singing her baby to sleep, i love that with the the Sennheiser HD-650. I have yet to find a more filling sound signature, than the HD-650

In My Opinion
HIFIMAN HE-500 for more treble hungry listeners + overall sound improvement
Sennhesier 650 for more smooth laid back with Grade A overall sound quality

~Tim :)

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #29 of 53
Thanks for the review MattTCG, it was really informative.  However, I'm on the fence over buying one of these HP's and this review didn't make it any easier haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back