HE400 vs HD650 for electronic music?
Nov 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BornReady

New Head-Fier
Hello folks.

I've finally saved enough money to buy some new headphones. Unfortunately, I can't seem to decide between the HE400 and HD650. I primarily listen to electronic dance music, also stocking up on film score and particularly good video game soundtracks. I'd also like to game with these headphones and do a little music production on the side (Reason 6 DAW). I have an extra $300 (MAX) saved up for an amp so my max budget for both components is $650 (I can get the HD650s for about $340). Here are some examples of what I listen to: 

I'm currently leaning towards the HE400 because from what I heard, it has more treble energy and bass, which will be good for electronic dance music. However, I think the HD650 has a slightly bigger soundstage and it would sound significantly better than the HE400 with a good amp (is this true?). Conversely, the HE400 will reach it's full potential for less $$$---which is a plus to me. 

Amps I'm looking at: 
Matrix M-Stage
DarkVoice 336SE 
Schiit Asgard 
Little Dot MKIII 

Those are mostly for the HD650. I've got no clue what to get for the HE400 because I hear it's got "low requirements". I also have a pair of Beyer DT990 250s and I'd like to also be able to amp those. The Matrix M-Stage seems to be a good bet seeing as how it has 4 power settings, but at the same time I hear it has bad synergy with the HD650...same thing with Asgard (by the way, how do these two amps compare?). 

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
HD650 isn't too good for electronica.  Both have about the same size soundstage.

Oh, okay. I read over your D2000 and HE400 comparison (wonderful piece, thank you!), and I was just wondering what amp you'd recommend for the HE400. I know it's not as picky as the HD650, but I'd also like a bit of "future proofing" to go into the purchase. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Oh, okay. I read over your D2000 and HE400 comparison (wonderful piece, thank you!), and I was just wondering what amp you'd recommend for the HE400. I know it's not as picky as the HD650, but I'd also like a bit of "future proofing" to go into the purchase. 

Heya,

I would suggest you get the Asgard or O2 if you want future proofing. They're not absolutely future proofed, but they will cover the vast majority of all headphones. Solid state is better for this because it's pretty linear in output, unlike a lot of tubes (the little dot mk iii for example is best with high impedance headphones; it has weak output at low impedance, it's not good for orthos).

I too would go HE400 over the HD650. Speed is important in electronica, and the HE-400 just digs deeper than the HD650 does in low frequencies and controls it better, has a little sugar on top too.

Very best,

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 17
I would pick the HE-400 if you are into electronic dance type music. Dubstep sound awesome with these, the sub bass is great here. A few Skrillex songs i played last night really floored me. Also the HE-400 has exceptional instrument separation so it would work nicely with film or game scores. It also pairs very well with the M-stage too so i can confidently recommend the combo.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

I would suggest you get the Asgard or O2 if you want future proofing. They're not absolutely future proofed, but they will cover the vast majority of all headphones. Solid state is better for this because it's pretty linear in output, unlike a lot of tubes (the little dot mk iii for example is best with high impedance headphones; it has weak output at low impedance, it's not good for orthos).

I too would go HE400 over the HD650. Speed is important in electronica, and the HE-400 just digs deeper than the HD650 does in low frequencies and controls it better, has a little sugar on top too.

Very best,

Thanks so much! Any thoughts on the Matrix M-Stage paired with HE400? 

So right now it looks like I'll be getting the HE400 and Asgard. I see that you own several pairs of Beyers, how well do they sound with the Asgard (if you've already tried them together)? 

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Which skrillex songs have sub-bass?  

Summit and Father Said—off the top of my head. I've noticed that too with Skrillex...guy's a great producer, but the sub-bass (and even mid) is seriously lacking. Some of his older tracks sound really harsh (pre Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites). Overall, I don't really think he produces dubstep. Despite this, they were a lot more original and melodic. Haven't really liked anything after SM&NS. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

So right now it looks like I'll be getting the HE400 and Asgard. I see that you own several pairs of Beyers, how well do they sound with the Asgard (if you've already tried them together)? 

I have the M-stage paired with my HE400s, but have no other amps for comparison. It sounds very good to my ears, they have a reputation for synergising very well.

The m-stage also has the added feature of having a replaceable opamp. Think of it like rolling tubes.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

The M-stage is a good amp, but then again, the less expensive Fiio E9 does the same thing.

All these solid state amps will work fine with the HE-400. Synergy will be up to your ear.

The Asgard powers Beyers fine. Very clear, good transparency. I personally prefer warmer signatures, but that's just me.

Very best,

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

The M-stage is a good amp, but then again, the less expensive Fiio E9 does the same thing.

All these solid state amps will work fine with the HE-400. Synergy will be up to your ear.

The Asgard powers Beyers fine. Very clear, good transparency. I personally prefer warmer signatures, but that's just me.

Very best,

So, the Asgard is warmer? How well do you think the M-Stage copes with low impedance cans like the HE-400, if they are the warmer ones? 

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
So, the Asgard is warmer? How well do you think the M-Stage copes with low impedance cans like the HE-400, if they are the warmer ones? 

Heya,

My statement about warmer amps was not directed towards either of those amps. I prefer warmer equipment in general, meaning, I don't use either of those amps. I did use the Asgard for a while and it is a top notch amp for it's cost. I simply have different sonic preferences after using many different pieces of equipment.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back