HE-90, L3000, OMEGA2, 010, R10, PS-1
Oct 31, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #76 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
quite a few people mention it being better when they use XLR inputs on their KGSS or Blue Hawaii versus the RCA inputs.

Most balanced sources have higher ouput signal (+6db?) thru their balanced XLR-outs, than thru their single-ended RCA-outs. Perhaps many perceive the louder signal to be "better"?

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #77 of 78
I found the RCA outs on my DV50 to actually be better than the XLR bal outs. I eventually ended up speaking with esoteric regarding this and they also agree, the stock 2ch RDOT circuitry seems to work better with RCA.

Having said this, the differences to me are small and likely due to cabling. But I've never bothered to check into this. Both sound excellent to me.

Although with my Krell Amp in my Speaker Rig, the Bal outs sound 6db louder AND noticably better with the same cables as my headphone amp rig.

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #78 of 78
Gpalmer>Stop tempting me! But seriously I am considering it. It might help me to clear out some of my stuff. I need an excuse the balanced Rs-1 option might be the ticket. Although I was planning on a second source purchase.

jpelg>I think the XLR option would be "better" on the 007t version simply for the fact it seems to quite a low gain setting using the RCA's. For my listening levels I have to crank it out to volume setting 3 on the stax amp. Using my DVD player I have to crank it to volume setting 4 before. So while it may/may not benefit SQ wise it would be a better solution to use it for me.

Hirsch>There is nothing wrong with the tonality of the he90/007t. It's just I prefer a warmer presentation. The Jena Labs were recommended by another headfier to me which I share a common tonality presentation with. I understand most headfiers would prefer a more neutralish presentation. But I feel if there was a little fuzz in the sound then I could enjoy it even more.

I also await the review hopefully that you will write on the Rs-1 and SDS-xlr. I find it strange that this headphone appeals to you as I know you like the Qualia's and R-10's. Headphones which have more detail and transparency than what the Rs-1's can offer. I would be most greatful if you could describe in what specific areas it elevates the Rs-1 sound. E.g Is the bass more controlled and defined?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back