HE-500 or PS500 - Primarily for Metal
Jul 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wirbel

100+ Head-Fier
Currently using Grado 225i, looking to upgrade.

Have had my heart set on the HE-500 and close to pulling trigger, but just wanted to ensure that it was my best choice.

I listen to:

80% metal (Death, Progressive, Folk, Symphonic, etc.)
20% other (Ambient, electronic, classical, soundtrack, etc.)

My research on the HE-500 is that it should be a perfect set to tackle my main interests while giving me a much better experience with other genres compared to my 225is. However, metal is still my main reason for investing in this hobby.

How do the HE-500s compare to the PS500? I know the PS500 aren't the typical Grado sound, but they still seem to be a very solid pick for metal while also bringing a sound signature that is perhaps more suitable for other genres as well? I think the HE are the better fit, but I obviously haven't been able to test either pair.

For the extra money, is it worth buying the HE-500 over the PS500 given my music tastes?

(amp/dac will both be upgraded very soon as well and would be matched with whichever I choose - until then, Essence STX)

Thanks for input.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 5
HE-500, and I don't regret that decision at all.

I've done comparisons between the 225i and HE-500 and I don't feel like I'm losing much by dropping the 'Grado sound'. Obviously the HE-500 is a much more expensive headphone, but I find it does metal just fine. Especially since I listen to a wide variety of metal that often includes more than just guitars and drums (Wintersun's new album, for example, sounds tremendous). I've switched back to the Grados from time to time and still enjoy them. I know the PS500 is a different beast and I never did demo them so I cannot directly compare the two cans.

All I can say is that I love the versatility of the HE-500, especially now that mine is properly amped.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 5
The HE-500 is indeed a great allrounder! I migrated from a Grado RS1i to the HE-500 and haven't missed the RS1i once yet. The HE-500s are great in the bass department and did much better at metal and rock than I would have expected. The headphone is pretty neutral but still has some good sparkle that works well with metal.

Do let us know how you like the La Figaro 339 with your headphones! I'm also interested in the same amplifier to use with my HE-500s. I currently have a Audiolab M-DAC and using the headphone output on the DAC, but it is slightly underpowered and I think a good tube amp will do the HE-500 wonders with improved imaging and sound staging.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Yup, basically feel the same. The treble on the HE-500 is phenomenal in terms of quality, even if its presentation differs from the Grado sound signature.

So far the 339 is a great pair but I'm still breaking it in. Can/will post thoughts after more listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back