HE-500 or Audeze LCD-2, with different amp and dac options for each
May 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cangle

100+ Head-Fier
I know that there are already numerous threads regarding this topic on the forums, however I have chosen to start my own as my situation is unique. I have a budget of roughly $1700 and am deciding between the HE-500s with the Bifrost (with uber analog upgrade) and Lyr combo, or the LCD-2s with the ALO audio pan am, passport, and siemens tubes.

I primarily listen to jazz and female vocalists, but I occasionally listen to club/house music and classic rock. What would you recommend? I am willing to expand my budget if necessary but I would rather be under $1700.

May 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 7
bump

May 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Hhmm...well, I can help somewhat because the differences that I hear between the two. The best thing to do of course is to get out to a meet and audition these two and decide what you think sounds better for yourself.

He500-

*voicing and tonality is towards neutral and maybe a touch north of that
*beautiful detailed mids
*very good sound stage and instrument separation
*treble has some attack 

LCD2.2-

*also a neutral signature and just a touch on the dark/smoother side
*bass impact and texture is some of the very best in the game
*the decay of notes is not as lightening quick as with the hfm but good still
*treble is a touch dark but very resolving

These are both heavy hp's. The he500 is a bit tougher on amp requirements. I found the lcd2 a more enjoyable listen overall. 

Also, the upgrade on the bifrost is certainly worth it. I just upgraded on Friday and am really enjoying the new board. 

gL!!

May 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your input, MattTCG, however having already read many of the HE-500 vs. LCD-2 forums, I am more interested in which amp and dac pairing is the best for both the given headphone and my musical interests.

May 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for your input, MattTCG, however having already read many of the HE-500 vs. LCD-2 forums, I am more interested in which amp and dac pairing is the best for both the given headphone and my musical interests.

It really doesn't matter much at all what amp/dac pairing you go with with either headphone, HE500s will sound like HE500s, and LCD2s will sound like LCD2s.

In the end good amp/dacs will bring the best out of either headphone, but that's about it.

It comes down to which headphone signature preference you prefer more, as both cans are just as capable, only differing mainly in how they are voiced (like Matt described), and THAT alone will determine which setup you will enjoy more with your music. Priorities, priorities.

May 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 7
I understand that that the Lyr has preamp outputs. Does anyone know of any other amps that fit within my budget and work with these cans that also has preamp outputs as I have speakers that I would not really like to plug directly into my laptop.

On the other hand, I am strongly considering the Audeze LCD-2s with the pan am because everyone seems to be raving about how fun they are to listen to.

May 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
The lcd2 seems to be fairly easy to amp. I haven't heard the pan am but the specs look fine for the lcd. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back