HE-500 Loaner Program
Apr 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #61 of 185
I'm in hopes the 500 will play well with portable headphone amps. The HE-6 is a permanent resident with a pair of monoblocks that go to 11.

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #62 of 185
Quote:
I'm in hopes the 500 will play well with portable headphone amps. The HE-6 is a permanent resident with a pair of monoblocks that go to 11.

HC, which monoblocks are those (sorry if you've already answered that previously....)?

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #64 of 185

Quote:

I have driven them with my Nano and my H-120 but had the volume at 75% to get decent volume.

However, as soon as I use my iMod or Nano into a small portable amp like a Shadow or Pico Slim, they play real well together. So, being called a portable might still include a portable amp in the mix (which is the only way I listen to my portable setups anyway, I never go out naked with just a player). These headphones have some of the creamiest mids you'd ever want to hear. No player's amp output alone, is worthy enough for these terrific phones. These are still Orthos after all, but without the necessity of a speaker amp. 

I will be sending the east pair out to davederek Monday or Tuesday. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #65 of 185

Quote:

HC, which monoblocks are those (sorry if you've already answered that previously....)?

http://www.rotel.com/content/manuals_archived/rmb100.pdf

The killer will be battery life but these are too big for "portable use". Transportable perhaps. I was listening to the HE-6 on a Xin mac4 w/2xbuffers and the batteries (8 aaa)
lasted about 2 hours. I may need to replace the rechargeables as they are the original set.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #66 of 185
Does anyone have have recommendation about slim portable amps thas synergize with HE-500? I was thinking about amps like TTVJ slim, pico slim and Headstage Arrow.  Preferably something that gave some presence from the lower midrange and downwards to sub bass. TTVJ slim seems promising, but perhaps it would overly emphasize the midrange.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #67 of 185
The Arrow is known to have a lot of punch, so should be able to drive them.

That said, I would think the biggest draw would be these can be driven by any desktop amp, not so much that it makes a big, heavy, open pair of phones like this "portable". There can be doubt in their design that these are very much home phones.

The HE-6 and to a lesser extent the HE-5LE need a meatier than average desktop amp to meet their requirements, whereas so long as you have an amp - these will sound great - that's a pretty strong selling point. Being able to drive them on a portable amp, for me, is more of a novelty I'd be less likely to take advantage that reguarly, if not just once to see that it could.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #68 of 185

Quote:
Does anyone have have recommendation about slim portable amps thas synergize with HE-500? I was thinking about amps like TTVJ slim, pico slim and Headstage Arrow.  Preferably something that gave some presence from the lower midrange and downwards to sub bass. TTVJ slim seems promising, but perhaps it would overly emphasize the midrange.

Quote:

I have driven them with my Nano and my H-120 but had the volume at 75% to get decent volume.

However, as soon as I use my iMod or Nano into a small portable amp like a Shadow or Pico Slim, they play real well together. So, being called a portable might still include a portable amp in the mix (which is the only way I listen to my portable setups anyway, I never go out naked with just a player). These headphones have some of the creamiest mids you'd ever want to hear. No player's amp output alone, is worthy enough for these terrific phones. These are still Orthos after all, but without the necessity of a speaker amp. 

I will be sending the east pair out to davederek Monday or Tuesday. 

^^^ Look a couple of posts above yours. I touched on that very subject. The Pico Slim, RSA Shadow, and ALO RXII all step up to the plate nicely.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #70 of 185
I think that is me listed third on the central US list.  If so, thanks for including me but there is a name misspelling.  It should be Gorthon, not Gortham.

Will we be contacting the person under us to get there shipping information when its time?  I can't seem to find the information explained the program.

Quote:

HE-500 Loaner Program

Here is the list for members to participate in the U.S. HE-500 Loaner Program. The order was picked to minimize shipping costs for everyone
and to lower the shipping times.
The Asian and European Loaner program will be handled separately.

East:

davederek                         NY (Westchester)

jinp6301                            NY (Binghamton)
felis                                  Massachussetts
decur                                Massachussetts

Joey Russo                       New Jersey

Frank I                              New Jersey
leesure                              Philadelphia
baka1969                          Philadelphia
goldme                             Pennsylvania
Mobayrasta                       Maryland
warp08                              Virginia
Sam Fi                              Florida

Central:

Happy Camper                    Cincinnati
Ishcabible                           Illinois
Gorthon                             Wisconsin
dmv915                              Missouri

West:

bodx                                  Phoenix
project86                            San Francisco
dcpoor                                Los Angeles
LFF                                    Southern California
debitsohn                            Los Angeles   

Canada:

eucariote                          St. John's Newfoundland

sokolov                            Montreal

Zida                                 Toronto

wower                              Calgary

sampson-smith                 Saskatchewan  

-Please note: Since there are many more members in the East Region, as soon as the Central and West regions are finished, they will be directed to
send their loaners to the next potential customer in the East. This should be able to make the whole program finish in 6 or less weeks.

-Also, if you requested to be in the program, and you did not indicate were you live, and you do not have your location in your profile (which everyone should),
you were exempt from the program.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #72 of 185
I have the east model and will be sending it to davederek shortly. Fang is going to be sending Canada theirs directly from China. Europe and Asia are getting theirs from distributors. 
Not sure about Central and west. Fang has moved to China, so, ir you'd like, I can call him and find out. The entrance fee is worth it's weight in gold.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #73 of 185
This will be my first time participating in a loaner program, for reference how much insurance coverage are we expected to pay for and how fast are we supposed to have it ship? I'm running low on money to burn so it makes a bit of difference to me

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #74 of 185
Insure for a grand and use a USPS pre-sized box for $14.95 Also spend the 75¢ for a sig confirmation.
If you can't come up with this cash, then you are not a legitimate candidate for purchasing these headphones.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #75 of 185
Canada doesn't have a pre-sized box.

No, I definitely can afford to do this, I just wanted to know etiquette. As I said, this is my first time partaking in a loan program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back