HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Sep 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 3,819
I would go with a cable that is male 4-pin XLR terminated, then use a pigtail that goes from female 4-pin xlr to bare/tinned/spaded speaker taps.  You can then have 4-pin female to 1/4"/Dual XLR/etc.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 3,819
Quote:
I would go with a cable that is male 4-pin XLR terminated, then use a pigtail that goes from female 4-pin xlr to bare/tinned/spaded speaker taps.  You can then have 4-pin female to 1/4"/Dual XLR/etc.

Heya,

Any idea if those can be purchased or if they're simply custom made only?

Very best,

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 3,819
Mal,
You can order a 6 cable and speaker leads adapter from HiFiMan. You can also have one made with more exotic wiring. You could order the 6 cable and have the 6.5 mm jack removed for spades or bananas. The 6 cable is $149. Let them know your desires and I'm thinking they will take care of you. If not, it would take a soldering iron and a half hour to make up.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 3,819
Here are a few.

This one is from Brian at BTG-Audio:  He can make it anyway you want.

http://btg-audio.webs.com/

This is the one I use - it's from Brian at http://www.zynsonix.com/

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 3,819
Quote:
Here are a few.

This one is from Brian at BTG-Audio:  He can make it anyway you want.

http://btg-audio.webs.com/

Heya,

Perfect; that's what I was looking for. I've dealt with Brian on some other headphones, he's awesome. Didn't realize he had these. That's the simple fix I was looking for.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 3,819
Heya,

Perfect; that's what I was looking for. I've dealt with Brian on some other headphones, he's awesome. Didn't realize he had these. That's the simple fix I was looking for.

Very best,

Please do give your impression after the project established.

I am thinking of doing the same thing with my HE 400, speaker-tapping to a Jolida FX10 tube amp.

I really appreciate your journey on this project.....and of course the impression.:)

Thank you Sir
Cheers

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 3,819
I also plan to order the HE-500s and do this as well. My main concern is ordering an under-powered amp for the HE-500's and not realizing their full potential. Would there be a problem with using the headphones > female 1/4 to male XLR adapter> female XLR then soldering decent guage speaker wire directly to the XLR pins? I'm just trying to save money. I figured this would work.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 3,819
I'm not sure if they'll work or not.  Seems kinda risky.  What amp are you looking at that you think it may not be enough power for the HE-500s?  The HE-500s are pretty efficient, not like the HE-6 or the HE-5LEs.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 3,819
Quote:
I'm not sure if they'll work or not.  Seems kinda risky.  What amp are you looking at that you think it may not be enough power for the HE-500s?  The HE-500s are pretty efficient, not like the HE-6 or the HE-5LEs.  

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the Matrix M-stage or the Bellari HA540. Something under 300 dollars hopefully. If i attempted the speaker tap option I would obviously insulate the solder points and exposed wire with heat-shrink tubing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back