HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Apr 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,541 of 3,819

None to healthy for the amp either. The 2050 runs hot as a pistol as it is.

So the conclusion is I shouldn't run single-ended headphone on balanced output amp by adding resistor, but running SE headphone on unbalanced speaker amp or balanced headphone on balanced speaker amp either directly or 'resisted' at 8 ohms are just okay?
Just to update a bit on some 'facts' when I run SE headphone on the box. If I used low value resistor for both L- & R-, I think the SQ about the same on both direct or resisted, But if i used higher value of resistor, say 5 times higher, the sound borked. In all cases it still produce hiss but very weak. I run my TP22 for more than an hour in this mode, but the heat from the alloy case cannot fried egg. May be next time I use thermometer to monitor the heat from the TK2050 IC.
Anyway, thanks for the advise

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #3,543 of 3,819
Just finishing making some cables. It was super easy. I recommend others try it too. Using Mogami shielded quad cables, solder one blue cable to the tip terminal, another blue cable to the ri terminal, and both white cables to the gr terminal. Reassemble the nuetrik 1/4 female adapter, it should be a near perfect fit. On the other end of the cable, attach red banana clips to the blue cables and white cables to the black banana clip. Test connectivity with voltmeter. Done!!! Sounds way better than the radioshack 1/4"female to RCA cable I mutiliated for a makeshift adapter.

A have a couple extra for sale if anyone is interested.

May 14, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,545 of 3,819
I'll pair the Emotiva a-100 with Schitt Modi for the HE-500. Any inputs ?

Volume control will be poor, worst case low level listening will not be possible. You might experience hiss too.

May 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #3,547 of 3,819
Volume control will be poor, worst case low level listening will not be possible. You might experience hiss too.

Had the exact same setup for a few months.
No issue with hissing but yeah, volume control is a little fiddly. Slight movements of the dial = quite big movements in volume 
But SQ is top notch! Kind of miss my old rig now... :frowning2:

May 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,549 of 3,819
I had the A1 for a brief time. You can tap directly off the binding posts without resistors.

May 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3,554 of 3,819
Well, after a month without using a full size amplifier as my headphone amp with the HE500's, i have come crawling back into the fray.  This time I'm using a Cyrus 3 amplifier and its magnificent, its also an excellent visual match for my A-GD Compass 2.  I can thoroughly recommend these little amps for us Euros who would have to pay crazy shipping/import duties on the Emotiva kit.

May 19, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,555 of 3,819
Can anyone weigh in on the matching power of the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (2012 version with LM4562  with the He-500s?  I am specifically looking at this unit which is currently on e-bay.  If it is a good match I wouldn't mind purchasing it, but I would like to be sure of its performance with the He-500s in comparison with the Emotiva mini-x.  Here is the unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-M-Stage-Headphone-Amplifier-LM4562-Ships-from-USA-/161307853328

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back