HE-400 VS HE400i VS Fidelio X2 (Need Input)
Jun 10, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #77 of 81

To be honest, Fostex TH-X00 probably kills all the headphones mentioned here. I would get that instead. If I wanted a planar, I'd get LCD-2.

At the cost of soundstage and midrange, though :frowning2:

I'm still looking for something that ticks all the boxes of the th-x00 does (bass quantity/quality, highs, intimacy) but has the soundstage of an X2 and the midrange forwardness of an hd650, and still manages to cost less than my car.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #78 of 81
  At the cost of soundstage and midrange, though :frowning2:

I'm still looking for something that ticks all the boxes of the th-x00 does (bass quantity/quality, highs, intimacy) but has the soundstage of an X2 and the midrange forwardness of an hd650, and still manages to cost less than my car.

It sounds like you might have too high of expectations. Every headphone has its flaws.
That said, I think the only headphone I can recommend that might come close to your desires is the LCD 2 / LCD 3, although I'm not sure how much your car costs 
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #79 of 81
  It sounds like you might have too high of expectations. Every headphone has its flaws.
That said, I think the only headphone I can recommend that might come close to your desires is the LCD 2 / LCD 3, although I'm not sure how much your car costs 
wink.gif

You're probably right. I figured that. The fa-011 basically is that headphone except that it doesn't have quite the clarity the X2's have, but its easy to get over :D It would be nice if there was a direct upgrade to the fa-011 under $500. The x2's are a slight upgrade in clarity but have a huge dip in the mids which really sucks. The fostex apparently have the same problem. EQ helps a lot though

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #80 of 81
  You're probably right. I figured that. The fa-011 basically is that headphone except that it doesn't have quite the clarity the X2's have, but its easy to get over :D It would be nice if there was a direct upgrade to the fa-011 under $500. The x2's are a slight upgrade in clarity but have a huge dip in the mids which really sucks. The fostex apparently have the same problem. EQ helps a lot though

what gear were you using with the x2?

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #81 of 81
Soooooo...I may have done something stupid. I'm also new here and new to the Head-Fi community so hi everyone! I just started getting into mid-high end audio VERY recently and saw a couple deals I couldn't pass up on. There were a pair of brand new in box HE400i with the new connectors on ebay with free shipping for $329.00 Canadian and someone locally selling a pair of HE400 like new with less that 10 hours for $180 Canadian so I ended up buying both since they were less than half of what they normally cost. Should I have done that or am I an idiot for doing so? I'm also looking at the Schiit Magni+Modi V1 stack to power these cans. Can anyone provide some input or advice?

Thanks!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back