HE-400 VS HE400i VS Fidelio X2 (Need Input)
Jan 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #61 of 81
From the reviews on YouTube and Tyle (inner fidelity), best to upgrad the he-400S ear pads. However i got the impression that the 400i sound better than 400S even 400S ear pads upgraded. This is why i excluded them between the choice of the X2 and 400i. What really surpises me is the comfort level people boast about on the X2's compared to clamping problems on £350plus priced 400i's. May be they loosen up, maybe not. Different opinions which increases risk and then uncertainty.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #62 of 81
Price comparisons. I have a feeling that in EU as HIFIMAN has no EHQ they are simply pricing a cost plus model via dealer channels. Where as Phillips is more market aware and price sensitive. I bet they are facing off the X2 street price to the Senn HD600/650's in Europe which are stronger market models in terms of share and brand. This is called a sales minus approach based on competitive benchmarking. To conclude, compared to the USA, we as Consumers are getting ripped off on HIFIMAN prices in the UK.

If the X2 and 400i were the same price I would grab the 400i's without a second thought and hope for no longterm clamping issues.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #63 of 81
Soundizer, I completely agree. It makes reading head-fi tricky at times. When some people are comparing similarly priced headphones, its different than comparing them with one almost double the price of the other.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #64 of 81
Soundizer, I completely agree. It makes reading head-fi tricky at times. When some people are comparing similarly priced headphones, its different than comparing them with one almost double the price of the other.

Dear Gamingdave, i just ordered the X2 on Amazon. From Amazon Warehouse deals for £181.99 with free delivery and 30day return. The packaging is damaged but i do not care. No manufacturing warranty but this is a risk i am taking. It is also available today for £199 new by another supplier on Amazon and is fulfilled by Amazon, but not sure about returns policy as it is not Amazon Warehouse which my purchase is. I would have paid upto £250 for new but only if via Amazon Warehouse which has a reliable 30day return policy, but no such option which is why I took a risk on Used product. It is arriving next week 20th to 22nd of Jan - free delivery.

I will let you know as soon as on the audio quality and also the condition which should be excellent as only packaging is described as damaged. Whenever a product is damaged and sold on Amazon Warehouse it is detailed in the description. There are currently 2 more available at £181.99.

I will test the audio with high quality Linn Amp on the 6.3mm plug and then via my iPhone using a Creative Soundblaster E5.

If i am not entirely satisfied (previous Owned HD 600's as my benchmark), then I will return it get the refund and purchase a HE-400i.

Will keep you updated all the way on this.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #65 of 81
I received my Fidelio X2 from Amazon for only £181.99. Description from Amazon was damaged box. I saw a very minor scratch on the outside box which did not bother me at all. The headphones are in brand new condition and i inspected every inch including the cable and plug. So this is a totally amazing bargain. I also feel assured with Amazon 30 day free returns policy.

What i was very impressed by is the incredible build quality and finish. Metal alloy and leather. The cuffs are expensive velour with nice memory foam. Great design they look nice which is just a bonus, but sound quality and comfort are much more important to me. They are very comfortable which i had on last night for 5 hours continuously no problem. As comfortable as my previous Senn HD600 which are known for comfort.

Sound Quality:
First I will reiterate some well known points on head-fi based on my experience so far (15 hours) as below;
Excellent Sound Stage - good for movies and general TV listening.
Well extended base. Much better than my previous HD600's but this is no surprise and the HD650 are better than HD600 for base in most views.
A sound signature tuned for musicality. Enjoyable.

My own points which i observed that are not frequently emphasised in head-fi (to my knowledge). Correct me if i am wrong please;
Some vocals depending on track sound too distant (Adele - Hello single. My cheaper ATH M50x picked up her vocals better, very disappointing. Pretty sure my previous Senn HD600 would do better on many vocals.
Despite other opposite reviews i did find the base to intrude on mids and sound can get messy. (Compared to Senn HD600 and ATH M50X).
SIBLANCE. Awful high (ss and sh treble on many music tracks). Regardless of sound source (Apple Lossless tracks / Spotify Premium via Creative Soundblaster E5 to iPhone and iPad Air2). This is very bad and i was hoping to avoid high SIBLANCE headphones and not picked up this issue on head-fi. I don't want to adjust the EQ to compensate as that compromises overall treble.

Going to give it a while longer, otherwise returning to Amazon.
Reasons: 80 perecent due to SS/SH treble which is totally unbearable / 20 perecent to base intruding on mids taking clarity away from vocals, messy).

Please see below the equipment used:

Source = iPhone 6 Plus / iPad Air 2.
Amp: Creative Sound blaster E5 at various EQ settings.
Music from: Apple lossless tracks / Spotify Premium. Tried different EQ settings in Apple Music player and Spotify.

Source = Sky HD box.
Amp: Linn Classik music player which has a good built in amp. Could drive my previous ( Senn 300ohm HD 600's ).
Audio: Film - Starwars revenge of the Sith / Film - Gone Girl.

If i return these then maybe i consider the 400i or (400S if i can get those Focus A pads in the UK, but from where?)..
I do not want high SIBLANCE headphones.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #66 of 81
The way I see it. As owner of HE400i and X2...HE400i is a great all around headphone, it will play anything and do it good. X2 I see more as a chill headphone something that you listen to to relax. Because honestly it doesn't do fast tracks well.

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #67 of 81
I just auditioned the 400i next to the X2 and found the resolution of the X2 perfectly good in the upper range.  Its bass extension topped the 400i.  For versatility, the Philips was the winner, at least when driven by the V200.

May 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #68 of 81
  I just auditioned the 400i next to the X2 and found the resolution of the X2 perfectly good in the upper range.  Its bass extension topped the 400i.  For versatility, the Philips was the winner, at least when driven by the V200.

This is not true. Planar-magnetic drivers are well known for being able to push the lows to the threshold of human hearing nearly effortlessly. Even though I firmly believe the X2 has great extension for a dynamic driver, the bass extension is lower in nearly every single planar-magnetic headphone on the market. 

May 12, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #69 of 81
  This is not true. Planar-nagnetic drivers are well known for being able to push the lows to the threshold of human hearing nearly effortlessly. Even though I firmly believe the X2 has great extension for a dynamic driver, the bass extension is lower in every single planar-magnetic headphone on the market. 

You are probably right.  I guess I should have said that the 400i is so weak in the low end that it sounds rolled-off at normal listening levels.  In any case the X2 clearly beats it in terms of value at this price point especially given its all around greater efficiency.

May 13, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #70 of 81
This is not true. Planar-nagnetic drivers are well known for being able to push the lows to the threshold of human hearing nearly effortlessly. Even though I firmly believe the X2 has great extension for a dynamic driver, the bass extension is lower in every single planar-magnetic headphone on the market. 

You are probably right.  I guess I should have said that the 400i is so weak in the low end that it sounds rolled-off at normal listening levels.  In any case the X2 clearly beats it in terms of value at this price point especially given its all around greater efficiency.

No... You were right the first time man. The bass extension on the X2 definitely tops the 400i. The Fidelio has considerably more bass. Perhaps not quality, but certainly quantity. TastyPastry, no offense, but have you listened to these two headphones?

May 13, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #71 of 81

Not all planar magnetic headphones. He400i is no LCD-2. Recent Hifiman headphones lack bass (maybe not HE1000 but I haven't heard it). He400i bass rolls off from 70 hz and down. X2 has boosted bass down to 50 hz, and rolls of after that. You should check measurements. X2 bass is far better than HE400i's both in quantity and extension.

May 13, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #72 of 81
No... You were right the first time man. The bass extension on the X2 definitely tops the 400i. The Fidelio has considerably more bass. Perhaps not quality, but certainly quantity. TastyPastry, no offense, but have you listened to these two headphones?

I think you might be confusing extension with intensity. Granted, I have only listened to the X2 when my friend lets me try his, but I have owned the 400i. When I say extension, I'm talking about how low it can produce sub-bass before roll-off. While the X2 might be louder, because it's tuned that way, the roll off begins significantly higher up than the 400i's do. Check out these response graphs:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf
While Tyl has this labeled as the HE-400 on the graph, I believe it's supposed to be the 400i. It's directly from the 400i link on his webpage, and differs slightly from the other standard 400 measurements. Either way, I've had both, and do believe the extension is nearly identical, if only slightly better on the older 400. 

May 13, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #73 of 81
^^That's HE400's measurements, not HE400i, Here's HE400i for you. Roll of after 70 hz vs 50 hz of X2. HE400 bass is far better than HE400i by the way, nothing alike.

May 13, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #74 of 81
  ^^That's HE400's measurements, not HE400i, Here's HE400i for you. Roll of after 70 hz vs 50 hz of X2. HE400 bass is far better than HE400i by the way, nothing alike.

I'm fairly sure there wasn't an HE-400 remake in 2014.
Tyl has two links, the HE-400, and the HE-400i on his list of tested headphones. The HE-400i link takes you to the link I posted earlier. 
Additionally, Tyl's own X2 graph which I posted shows a roll-off starting somewhere between 75-85Hz. Don't know where you're getting the 50 from. 
Even if the roll of of the 400i's is at 70, which I seriously disagree with, that leaves the two phones nearly equal, no?
Additionally, it's important to note the derivative of the plot. While the bass may be quite a bit more boosted in the X2, the planar-magnetic drivers roll-off at a rate immensely smaller than the dynamic drivers. At one point, the average intensity of the 400i is going to be greater than the average intensity of the X2, which is why planar-magnetic headphones in nearly every single case have what listeners would consider better bass extension.
Don't become too attached to your gear. We're not here to market companies. We're here to tell each other what's good and what's not and offer a little insight into the wonders of equipment.  The Fidelio X2's are some of the most fun and unique headphones on the market today, not to mention their fairly great value. While I don't believe the 400i is really comparable, it has its own traits to bring to the table, and we should respect the OP's curiosity by giving analytical advice. He should make up his mind based on his own preferences, and we're just here to offer our experiences. 

May 13, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #75 of 81
I don't have Fidelio X2, had it so it's not my gear. Also, that's not Tyll's measurements but someone else's (who's also very much respected in audio community). Not all dynamic drivers roll off (check Fostex TH900 measurements), just like not all planar magnetic headphones have flat bass. Audeze headphones have flat bass, Hifimans usually have roll off (HE400S has major roll off below 100 hz, HE400i has roll off below 70 hz. Even the famous for bass Abyss has roll of below 30 hz where dynamic TH900 does not. The only truly flat planar magnetic bass I've seen is on Audeze headphones. Other planag magnetic headphones have a roll off somewhere. HE400 had a very LCD2-like bass, but recent Hifiman headphones have roll off in bass. HE400 has good bass (not HE400i) but the rest of FR is not really good.

To be honest, Fostex TH-X00 probably kills all the headphones mentioned here. I would get that instead. If I wanted a planar, I'd get LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back