HE 400 or Sennheiser 600?
Nov 21, 2014 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Klaista2k

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones in the $300 - $400 range and the two options that have peaked my interest the most are the HE 400's and the Sennehiser 600's.

I'm really confused on which to get though.... A lot of people seem to really LOVE the HE 400's, but I've also seen a lot of negative reviews on them too. So, that pushed me more toward the Sennheiser's but I've also seen some people say they are "boring".

Any suggestions on which headphones to go with? 

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm biased, but i think nothing right now beats an open box HE-400i from Razordog for $395. 

Well - other than that He-400i + Geek Pulse indigogo combo from last week. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 8
Unless you only listen to jazz & EDM, I personally couldn't reccomend the HE-400 for an all-arounder. Any reason you're only looking at those two cans? And what is your source and music tastes?

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 8
  Unless you only listen to jazz & EDM, I personally couldn't reccomend the HE-400 for an all-arounder. Any reason you're only looking at those two cans? And what is your source and music tastes?

They just seem to be the most highly regarded for my price range. (Why do you have any other suggestions on a better pair?)

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 8
I can a refurbished HE 400 for $250 right now... That seem's pretty tempting.

How good of a headphone is it though really? I'm just confused because of all the mixed reviews on it.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 8
For that price, they're worth a try if they really sound that appealing to you. Just make sure you have a good amp for them. If you can return them, even better. They have the punchiest bass I've heard, with fantastic speed and detail. The overall signature (especially mids), bass texture, and treble spike kill it for me.

I think the Phillips X2, AKG K712, NAD HP50, HE-400i, used HD650, used HE-500, and maybe DT880's would all be on my list. All should be more versatile. HD600 is also a great option. My top 3 out of that list would be the HE-400i, K712, and HP50.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 8
I have the HE400, in my experience yes it may not appeal to some people, that explains the mixed review, why? It pumps the bass and the treble, so the mids are somewhat recessed, if you like your music rich in mids, avoid it, get the HD600, for me, I dont mind at all, because although its a bit recessed, the mids still delivered in high clarity. Because of the signature, musics are more exciting and lively, and plus its fantastic instrument separation and details, you can easily get immersed in this.

When the song intended an impact, the HE400 will deliver it with brilliance, this is my favorite part of the HE400, you can feel the song with your body. I thoroughly enjoy all genres through the HE400, there is no such thing as it being bad for certain genres, though it does excels with certain genres, I personally like Metal, Pop, Jazz, Classical on these, Hans Zimmer sounds fantastic, and BABYMETAL sounds phenomenal.

And because of this live sounding signature, some may find it fatiguing at some point, not for me, when Im in the mood I can go 2 hours on these. This cans does have burn in time, so dont feel bad if it sounds ****ty out of the box, I have a fair share of experience, but when it turned into something else, thats when its all worth it. Just my 2 cents, hope my view will help u choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back