HE-1 Reviews
Jan 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ganzosrevenge

Head-Fier
I know Sennheiser made the HE-1 orpheus, but the reviews I've mostly seen are from conventions / events.  Has anyone actually bought the new Orpheus, and if so, are there any reviews on them?  (It's way out of my price range, but I'm curious as to how it handles in the "real world," or as real of a world as $50,000 headphones can make)

Thanks

Jason

May 12, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 32
I know Sennheiser made the HE-1 orpheus, but the reviews I've mostly seen are from conventions / events. Has anyone actually bought the new Orpheus, and if so, are there any reviews on them? (It's way out of my price range, but I'm curious as to how it handles in the "real world," or as real of a world as $50,000 headphones can make)

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason - I didn't buy them, but got to spend significantly more than average time with them over several days and did a write up here:

SENNHEISER HE 1 REVIEW
http://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-he-1-review/

May 12, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 32
All the HE-1 "reviews" are useless.
It's more convenient for Sennheiser to send the HE-1 to people with mediocre setups (or even without a headphone setup), and get a very honest "oh, it's the best I've ever heard"...mofo of course it's better than apple earbuds, we all know and expect that.

They'll NEVER send one to someone with a Stax Omega, a DIY T2 and a 10k DAC, that's for sure.
Just imagine if someone says: my 30k Stax setup is miles better than the 50k HE-1...Sennheiser does not want that and of course tries to avoid it.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 32
If someone owns a HE-1, I don't think he would need any other headphone to he honest :p

Also I suspect most owners would be from Asia or middle eastern countries and I am not sure if they are on this board.

May 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 32
All the HE-1 "reviews" are useless.
It's more convenient for Sennheiser to send the HE-1 to people with mediocre setups (or even without a headphone setup), and get a very honest "oh, it's the best I've ever heard"...mofo of course it's better than apple earbuds, we all know and expect that.

They'll NEVER send one to someone with a Stax Omega, a DIY T2 and a 10k DAC, that's for sure.
Just imagine if someone says: my 30k Stax setup is miles better than the 50k HE-1...Sennheiser does not want that and of course tries to avoid it.

Well this has already been disproven, as they have let people at shows and demos in-shore who own the TotalDAC, BHSE and 009s (Arnaud) and others with the same BHSE and 009s and other good DACs, or the 009s and the KGSShv Carbon, even use their own DAC and music. So wrong on all counts. If anyone was serious they would I would expect, allow a home demo as well. I don't think there is any smoke and mirrors going on.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 32
Well this has already been disproven, as they have let people at shows and demos in-shore who own the TotalDAC, BHSE and 009s (Arnaud) and others with the same BHSE and 009s and other good DACs, or the 009s and the KGSShv Carbon, even use their own DAC and music. So wrong on all counts. If anyone was serious they would I would expect, allow a home demo as well. I don't think there is any smoke and mirrors going on.

With their own tracks, recorded with the highest level of fidelity with their own microphones and equipment, Sennheiser owns Neumann...
So not apples to apples comparison, you're a good guy but sorry you're wrong this time.

May 30, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 32
May 30, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 32
I have read maybe 5 posts here from different demos where each person listening got to play their own tracks. In one case they even used their own DAC (Chord TT).

Also it seems to be current policy going forward:
https://www.facebook.com/events/986658721464971/

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 32
Hi Jason - I didn't buy them, but got to spend significantly more than average time with them over several days and did a write up here:

SENNHEISER HE 1 REVIEW
http://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-he-1-review/
My guess is that these phones use the same damping arrangement in the headband as the HD800. It is interesting that so few owners of the HD800 are even aware of this although Senn doesn't go out of its way to explain what is going on, merely mentioning that there is some sort of space age polymer in the headband. I have been doing something similar for a couple of years with sorbothane placed on the surface of the headband or surface of the earcups of various Stax models.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/d...s-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials.744839/

Properly done, i.e. with the right size and grade of sorbothane, the right glue, etc. this give pushes the Stax up several grades, and for the cost of a few bucks. Grado is onto something similar with their e-series using a proprietary polycarbonate. Audioquest and B&W have related technolgies. You have probably never even heard of this issue but it is just Newton's Third Law "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." ie. for as much energy as a driver expends into the air, an equal energy goes into the earcup structure. Senn, Grado, Audioquest, B&W and I all agree that if you can dampen this structural vibration you can markedly. enhance the sound quality. This I suspect is the secret ingredient of these phones, not the marble case.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 32
This I suspect is the secret ingredient of these phones, not the marble case.

I suspect the secret ingredient is:

1. The amplifier design and FETs on the HPs.
2. Use of valves in the output stage.
3. Designed from the ground up and 'tuned' to be a complete system working together i.e. HPs and amplifier and DAC to sound as near to real life as possible.
4. Lessons learned in the original Orpheus.
5. Huge development budget from the biggest headphone manufacture in the world.

Sorbothane? Naaa.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #15 of 32
:popcorn:

I'd really like to read a review of someone who got a loaner for several weeks.

Agree! And to do that, the reviewer would ideally have their own Stax system, with a BHSE / T2 or Carbon amp and the 009s at home for an A/B. Respect to those who have reviewed the HE-1 to date, but many haven't heard or own the better Stat amps or the 009, so that is key to have those and get a full 'Stat' review IMO. I am being selfish here, as I want to know just how far the HE-1 has taken the Stats. I respect comparisons to the HD800 and Utopia (for example). Just not as relevant to my own micro HP world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back