HDCD's
Oct 3, 2002 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Andrew Pielet

500+ Head-Fier
I just purchased a HDCD of Old And In The Way, a bluegrass group from the 70's. My D-12 is having issues reading it, by skipping once other every 20 sec or so. Could it be missing some of the info cause it is a HDCD? Also, it seems the disc could be a tiny bit warped, due to sitting on a rack in the sun in a Borders on State in Chicago. Now, the weird thing is, it only skips in the D-12. Has anybody else had the problem of slightly warped NEW CD's? Probably due to sun coming in to the store?

Oct 4, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 3
if anything, it shouldn't be the HDCD encoding. have a couple of those myself, and they're 100% compatible with regular CDPs as far as I know.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Actually, now that I think about it, it kind of makes sense that it only skips on a player that's decoding HDCD. It takes more than a couple of time slices to determine whether or not a CD is HDCD-encoded or not, so if there's any errors, then it will get confused, and go back and forth (between treating the disk like it is HDCD, then not, etc.), with audible silences between. That would sound like skipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back