HD800s
Sep 29, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 113
HD800s or HD800 sdr mod and tube amps are my favorite sound.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 113
Personally, I feel that the HD800(S) still compete well against others in their price range. This is mainly due to their astounding soundstage as well as their above average detail retrieval. Like others have said, they are still "clinical" headphones, but I enjoy that. They convey music cleanly and precisely. For what they offer, I find that only higher end Stax setups could cleanly beat them. But then again, it's all about what you want out of your headphones, some really dislike them.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 113
Personally, I feel that the HD800(S) still compete well against others in their price range. This is mainly due to their astounding soundstage as well as their above average detail retrieval. Like others have said, they are still "clinical" headphones, but I enjoy that. They convey music cleanly and precisely. For what they offer, I find that only higher end Stax setups could cleanly beat them. But then again, it's all about what you want out of your headphones, some really dislike them.
Part of the reason people call them clinical is because they pair them with crummy or harsh amps, as these tend to dominate the cheaper mainstream amp segment.

The hd800s is brutally revealing of gear weaknesses. Pair it with a nice amp and it's not clinical in the slightest.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 113
Could be, but clinical doesn't have to be a negative thing. I personally use a pretty transparent solid state setup with them and I still enjoy their sound. As long as you give them enough juice they sound great, and as you say it seems that pairing them with some warm tube amps could change them enough to suit other tastes. Although I can't personally attest to that aspect.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 113
Could be, but clinical doesn't have to be a negative thing. I personally use a pretty transparent solid state setup with them and I still enjoy their sound. As long as you give them enough juice they sound great, and as you say it seems that pairing them with some warm tube amps could change them enough to suit other tastes. Although I can't personally attest to that aspect.

Tube sure, or simply just a less harsh solid state amp like the recently released Liquid Gold X, Violectric V280, hdv820, etc. Pair it with topping, smsl, or other amps with grainy harsh treble and you are gonna hear that grainy harsh treble the amp is putting out.

It's a revealing headphone, but amp it nice and it will treat you nice :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 113
Needs an EQ and an OTL amp

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 113
I would love to be able to sample them with a better amp, but I only previewed them at an event. I current use a Questyle CMA600i and I fear that would be too neutral for the 800S

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 113
While both the HD800 and HD800S have been called clinical and somewhat bright, I found the HD800S to be quite an improvement over the original HD800. They sounded detailed, with pinpoint imaging and a huge soundstage. Their detail retrieval is phenomenal. This level of detail, however, will point out problems in your recordings, or your system, but on the otherhead, great recordings and a solid equipment chain are richly rewarded.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 113
I would love to be able to sample them with a better amp, but I only previewed them at an event. I current use a Questyle CMA600i and I fear that would be too neutral for the 800S
CMA600I was developed with an HD 800 in mind, my 800s is very happy with it, even if with the Feliks Euforia it flies!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back