HD800s
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #107 of 113
Hello guys,
So today this happened when I cleaned my Hd800s pads . The tinny flaked black dots. I want to ask if anyone has seen something like that? I also worry if I inhale it and it come into my lungs lol

Attachments

• IMG_8614.jpeg
    IMG_8614.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #108 of 113
Hello guys,
So today this happened when I cleaned my Hd800s pads . The tinny flaked black dots.
Depending on ones use, plus whisker rash and body oils the pads do eventually disintegrate, went through 3 pairs of OEM before switching to sheep/lamb skin.
Probably body oils,
Pads_2.JPG
I also worry if I inhale it and it come into my lungs lol
Not a good idea to inhale any foreign objects but don't think the flakes are air-born.

JFYI the main HD800S thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ns-thread-read-first-post-for-summary.795365/

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #109 of 113
Depending on ones use, plus whisker rash and body oils the pads do eventually disintegrate, went through 3 pairs of OEM before switching to sheep/lamb skin.

Not a good idea to inhale any foreign objects but don't think the flakes are air-born.

JFYI the main HD800S thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ns-thread-read-first-post-for-summary.795365/
Tks for your reply. Pardons my arrogance but do you mean oem as genuine Sennheiser parts?
I only use my one-year-old hd800s a few hours a week and after my grief with some big headphone brands built quality I hoped I can use the pads much longer :frowning2: This hobby is quite time and money consuming.
I am afraid that leather pads may change the sound quality but I will search more. Thank for your suggestion

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #111 of 113
Tks for your reply. Pardons my arrogance but do you mean oem as genuine Sennheiser parts?
Yes, but sorry make that 2 OEM and 1 3rd party but all 3 were made from Alcantara and with my body oils they eventual break down, no problem with the pads from the HD600 series which just eventually flatten but do not deteriorate.

I am afraid that leather pads may change the sound quality but I will search more. Thank for your suggestion
There is a slight change as pads are one element on all headphones that can make the biggest difference in sound but as the HD800/S are fairly open I've experienced nothing that I find bothersome with the leather unless ones is against a slight bit of bass enforcement.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #112 of 113
Yes, but sorry make that 2 OEM and 1 3rd party but all 3 were made from Alcantara and with my body oils they eventual break down, no problem with the pads from the HD600 series which just eventually flatten but do not deteriorate.

There is a slight change as pads are one element on all headphones that can make the biggest difference in sound but as the HD800/S are fairly open I've experienced nothing that I find bothersome with the leather unless ones is against a slight bit of bass enforcement.
Thank you for your info.
My pads on my hd6xx are still fine too. And it is not only about the material, it is also many 3rd party pads for hd800s have flat shape (while the genuine ones are bell-shaped). Ime leather pads often have echo effects that I feel anxious to listen to. But yeah leather is quite okay material for pads except mold inducing while not in frequent use.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #113 of 113
Very expensive indeed. I gave up on cars and watches because those hobbyies were too expensive for me and hifi is much better but not exactly what you would call economical or cheap
omg cars and watchs 😂 My most expensive headphone is this hd800s and it is in some price basket of some apple watch versions I think. And I don’t know if the most hi-end version of aw can be used as long as my cheap hd6xx.
My lcd2 died a month ago for no reason while Audeze cable and pads have been keeping broken. And the yokes and crews easily got paint chips and rust. Now it is the driver.. so frustrating but for more than 12 years in service it is “affordable” for my happiness imo lol
Except in this case of hd800s pads I cannot think they are that bad for Sennheiser’s durability reputation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back