HD800s vs Arya (Also amp/dac suggestions)
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

AMONster23

Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I need your inputs and suggestions for both HD800s and Arya's and which one should I keep. I currently have the HD800s paired with the thx 788 desktop amp/dac and I was wondering if the Aryas are better overall for music, gaming and movies? Are there better options for the price. Would like to replace the HD800s to try something new since i'm not fully satisfied and audio is a journey to begin with. Also is it true if I let go these 800s I'll really miss the soundstage? Are there any other headphones that can produce the soundstage that the HD800s possess

Quick background on the previous headphones I've tried which are Hd58x, Hd6xx, Sundaras and Dt1990 pro. The music I listen to are jazz, rnb, indie, hiphop, pop, intrumental.

Would also like to "upgrade" my dac/amp into a proprietary amp and dac. I have two options for the amp. Either the THX 789 or Topping A90. What would you guys pick among the two to power these headphones. For the dac, my only option is the SMSL Su8.

if you guys have any suggestions for the dac that would be great.

Thank You!

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 26
I’m also interested by HD800s. I want to have a complement to my HE6se, I’m more toward a natural and balanced sound and interested by HD800s because of the soundstage acclaimed by all.

Are such analytical amps a good match for HD800s ? I run my HE6se thru Flux FA-10 (pure class A, 16w @32ohm, 1.7w @300ohm) : it is a delightful, also its’price is quite correct at 750$.

How would you compare HD800s to Sundara ? I had Sundara before HE6se and loved it.

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 26
Compared to Sundara, is HD800s soundstage really more immersive or just a bit better ?

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 26
Sundara is noticeably more punchier than the hd800s. Two different sounding headphones. Details and soundstage what shines in the HD800s.
Yeah, the bass lacks on the HD800s with majority of amps out there. It just doesn't sound all that exciting with it due to this. More of a classical and jazz headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 26
I have tried out both the Arya and HD800. The HD800 has much more potential if you are looking to upgrade your amp later on. On a high-end tube amp the HD800 eats the Arya alive. Soundstage wise, the Arya is narrower. For overall Gaming and movies, the Arya should be better option it packs more "punch" than the HD800. Another option is the Focal Clear, I like these more than the Arya and it is also easier to drive.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 26
I have tried out both the Arya and HD800. The HD800 has much more potential if you are looking to upgrade your amp later on. On a high-end tube amp the HD800 eats the Arya alive. Soundstage wise, the Arya is narrower. For overall Gaming and movies, the Arya should be better option it packs more "punch" than the HD800. Another option is the Focal Clear, I like these more than the Arya and it is also easier to drive.

While I can not really compare Arya (outside of word of mouth), I can compare Clear to HD800. I agree with grooveriders here that the Clear is also good choice (if you can ignore the smaller stage), especially if you plan to use it for multiple genres of music and stuff like movies.

The Clear is what I would label as a generalist headphone, with great imaging, dynamics, punch/impact, extension (even better than HD800) and agreeable sound signature (timbre is not the best out there, but its fairly good, when compared to HD800). It is a headphone that I could with fair certainty recommend to most people without much problems regardless of sources or other factors. The main drawback with this one as far as tehnicalities go can be said to be the sound stage which is quite a bit smaller in comparison (I think you could say wider than HD650, but not much).

HD800 on the other hand has a much larger stage, more detail, but worse micro dynamics and more controversial sound signature, as well as more metallic timber. It is more of an analitical headphone imo and not something I could ever recommend to most people, especially if you are not interested in trying the thing with a lot of different gear to find what you like best (generally tubes).

I’m also interested by HD800s. I want to have a complement to my HE6se, I’m more toward a natural and balanced sound and interested by HD800s because of the soundstage acclaimed by all.

Are such analytical amps a good match for HD800s ? I run my HE6se thru Flux FA-10 (pure class A, 16w @32ohm, 1.7w @300ohm) : it is a delightful, also its’price is quite correct at 750$.

How would you compare HD800s to Sundara ? I had Sundara before HE6se and loved it.

Imo if you get HD800 you will want tubes or at least slightly warmer SS amps, as HD800 and an analytical amplifier is asking to make any less than perfect recording less enjoyable. Regardless if you want a more neutral headphone then you should stay away from HD800. HD600 and some of the ZMF lineup (also pad dependant) are a lot more of what most people would consider neutral.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 26
Soundstage wise, the Arya is narrower.

From what I have read HD800s is wider but Arya seems to be taller and deeper and so provide a more ´big’ sound, do you confirm ?

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 26
From what I have read HD800s is wider but Arya seems to be taller and deeper and so provide a more ´big’ sound, do you confirm ?
The soundstage of my HD800S is wider than my Arya's (but not by much) but it is less tall, so the soundstage shape is oval or elliptical with the HD800S vs a huge sphere with the Arya, which may attribute to the "hugeness" of the Arya's sound.

EDIT: oh yeah, without EQ, classical music: HD800S > Arya; other genres: Arya > HD800S

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 26
I cannot confirm this as I dont own the arya and the AB testing was done about 2-3 weeks ago. I can only confirm that the "overall soundstage" is wider than the arya.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 26
Thats another option I stumbled upon. How is your experience with the clears?

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 26
The soundstage of my HD800S is wider than my Arya's (but not by much) but it is less tall, so the soundstage shape is oval or elliptical with the HD800S vs a huge sphere with the Arya, which may attribute to the "hugeness" of the Arya's sound.

EDIT: oh yeah, without EQ, classical music: HD800S > Arya; other genres: Arya > HD800S
Thats one of the reasons why I wanna try the Aryas since I mostly listen to artists like Tom misch and the like. Although I listen to some jazz and classical from time to time

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 26
Compared to Sundara, is HD800s soundstage really more immersive or just a bit better ?

I tested the Sundara and HD800S last week with a CHORD Hugo 2, listening mostly to classical music.
The difference was huge.
Sundara had a bit of a soundstage and some layering and depth, but still quite fuzzy and small.
The HD800S really gave the feeling of being at a live concert, with incredible detail and pinpoint positioning of the musical elements.

I do attribute a significant part to that to the Hugo 2 though, as it excells at precision, texture and soundstage.
But that doesn't change that the Sundara and the HD800S were very different.

That said, I actually like the Sundara better than the other headphones I listened to, Focal Elegia, Austrian Audio Hi-X55, HD660S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back