HD800S-like headphone?
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dlegendkiller

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Apologies for the vague title.
But I just wanted to ask, what headphone has the clarity, detail, imaging, and soundstage of the HD800S but doesn't compromise on bass and impactfulness?

To be completely fair, HD800S is a great headphone. I used BD Amiron for comparison and I really like fullness of the sound in it.
Now, I am looking for a second pair which I can listen along with my Amiron.

So far I've tried the following and they don't quite cut it unfortunately.
  • ATH ADX5000
  • ZMF Aeolus
  • ZMF Auteur

EDIT: I have the Feliks Audio Echo and iFi Nano Black Label as my Amp/Dac combo.
EDIT 2: Budget 1500 - 2000 USD

Thank you and appreciate your time reading my thread!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 23
Pioneer SE-Master 1 is a bit like a more v-shaped HD800S.
It doesn't compromise on detail, treble or bass, and still tries to keep the soundstage on the larger side.
It's a brutal roller-coaster of a headphone. Nothing else quite like it.

There are plenty of threads bashing it for having "horrible measurements" and "too much bass distortion", yet audiophools also plug expensive headphones into tube-amps which add distortion to the sound anyway.
My point being, this headphone adds those tasteful distortions without the fuss of a pricey tube-amp.
I've always enjoyed a slow, lingering bass. It always sounds more natural to me than the fast, 'clinical' dry 'technically better' bass that 'audiophiles' crave... which sounds like an acoustically-dead studio environment. No fun there at all.

YMMV and all that, but it's a serious recommendation.

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 23
... what headphone has the clarity, detail, imaging, and soundstage of the HD800S but doesn't compromise on bass and impactfulness?

hmm ... not many that come to my mind with all these attributes. The first one that comes to my mind would be the Abyss.

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 23
Pioneer SE-Master 1 is a bit like a more v-shaped HD800S.
It doesn't compromise on detail, treble or bass, and still tries to keep the soundstage on the larger side.
It's a brutal roller-coaster of a headphone. Nothing else quite like it.

There are plenty of threads bashing it for having "horrible measurements" and "too much bass distortion", yet audiophools also plug expensive headphones into tube-amps which add distortion to the sound anyway.
My point being, this headphone adds those tasteful distortions without the fuss of a pricey tube-amp.
I've always enjoyed a slow, lingering bass. It always sounds more natural to me than the fast, 'clinical' dry 'technically better' bass that 'audiophiles' crave... which sounds like an acoustically-dead studio environment. No fun there at all.

YMMV and all that, but it's a serious recommendation.

Hi! Thanks. I've looked into this one and unfortunately, it's not available here in my location currently.

hmm ... not many that come to my mind with all these attributes. The first one that comes to my mind would be the Abyss.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you talking about the Abyss Diana?

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 23
Hedd, it’s still complimentary, I doubt there any hp quite like hd800S for sound stage but it’s the hp I’m following.

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 23
There is none like HD800S. Perhaps the teardrop cups Hifimans like Ananda, Araya, to the HE1000 series.

Personally, I wish they'd build a headphone like HD800, but with more mid-centric HD6-- series headphone tonal tuning.

I found it puzzling people would compare HD800 to Auteur. Not alike at all. ZMF sound thick slow wooden sounds, like it or hate it.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 23
You may want to suggest a budget or you'll get some variable recommendations.

Great idea. Thanks! Added it in my first post.

Hedd, it’s still complimentary, I doubt there any hp quite like hd800S for sound stage but it’s the hp I’m following.

Good thing Heddphone is available in our local store. Will check this out!

There is none like HD800S. Perhaps the teardrop cups Hifimans like Ananda, Araya, to the HE1000 series.

Personally, I wish they'd build a headphone like HD800, but with more mid-centric HD6-- series headphone tonal tuning.

I found it puzzling people would compare HD800 to Auteur. Not alike at all. ZMF sound thick slow wooden sounds, like it or hate it.

I haven't tried much headphones in my experience but I was really hoping for these characteristics :frowning2:
Sadly, the local store I'm loaning demo for doesn't offer Hifimans but Arya seems interesting based on the reviews.
The Auteur was suggested to me by the local store which they were happy to let me loan it. Maybe I've incorrectly described the things I'm looking for. Make no mistake though, the Auteur is one of the best I've heard so far. If only I haven't tested the HD800s first, I would've bought it by now. LOL

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 23
I am expecting ATH ADX5000 within few weeks and i can give a feedback when i have them ,, the ZMF Aeolus doesnt have anything close to the HD800 , its a warm vailed headphone..

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 23
I am expecting ATH ADX5000 within few weeks and i can give a feedback when i have them ,, the ZMF Aeolus doesnt have anything close to the HD800 , its a warm vailed headphone..
Indeed. I was lucky enough to loan this together with the HD800S. Although based on my impressions, the instrument separation and soundstage sounded unnatural to me but I could be wrong XD

EDIT. Our local store is selling the HD800S for 1399 USD at todays exchange rate. I think it's a steal and it's so tempting

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 23
Great idea. Thanks! Added it in my first post.

Good thing Heddphone is available in our local store. Will check this out!
I hope you have a strong neck because the HEDDphone is massive in size and weight (718g!).

Since I own both the Arya and the HD800S, I can say that the Arya might be the one you are looking for. It is a little warmer than the HD800S but it's not a warm headphone. The Arya has a large soundstage but comes just a bit short to the HD800S; still, the Arya presents a very holographic sound. The HD800S has better timbre than the Arya, as the instruments sound more natural on the HD800S (most noticeable with orchestral/chamber music). The Arya is better all-rounder than the HD800S with its planar bass and its better comfort (at least on my head). Currently, the Arya is the can that's on my head most often until I decide to listen to classical music.

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 23
I hope you have a strong neck because the HEDDphone is massive in size and weight (718g!).

Since I own both the Arya and the HD800S, I can say that the Arya might be the one you are looking for. It is a little warmer than the HD800S but it's not a warm headphone. The Arya has a large soundstage but comes just a bit short to the HD800S; still, the Arya presents a very holographic sound. The HD800S has better timbre than the Arya, as the instruments sound more natural on the HD800S (most noticeable with orchestral/chamber music). The Arya is better all-rounder than the HD800S with its planar bass and its better comfort (at least on my head). Currently, the Arya is the can that's on my head most often until I decide to listen to classical music.

Oof. Coming from an amiron which roughly weighs at 300+g, this is quite heavy!
Now I really am curious about the Arya, just inquired the only local store offering it here in Singapore and unfortunately, they don't have loaner sets for it.
Looked at their returns policy and there's too much fees so I guess there's not much I can do about it. :frowning2:

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 23

Arya isn't as clear or wide sounding.
The only things I can think of would be the SR-007A with bass port mod and the Shangri-la electrostatics.

There's also the HD820 and HD800 which are the most similar but I'm not sure if that's cheating or not.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #14 of 23
Indeed. I was lucky enough to loan this together with the HD800S. Although based on my impressions, the instrument separation and soundstage sounded unnatural to me but I could be wrong XD

EDIT. Our local store is selling the HD800S for 1399 USD at todays exchange rate. I think it's a steal and it's so tempting
get it , its a good price

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 23
Arya isn't as clear or wide sounding.
The only things I can think of would be the SR-007A with bass port mod and the Shangri-la electrostatics.

There's also the HD820 and HD800 which are the most similar but I'm not sure if that's cheating or not.
It's been staring at my face all along. Based on the reviews, HD820 has identical characteristics except for the obvious one like the soundstage. I have yet to try this though. I'll try to loan this HD820 together with the HD800S and see which one I like best!

get it , its a good price
Right? I messaged them right away to check whether it was a mistake or not because they posted the same item but with different pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back