HD800S entry level amp?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by Ekul61, Oct 28, 2017.
  1. Ekul61
    Looking for a thread or suggestions about. A entry level amp that will be a good match for the 800s. The search results were geared towards the original 800

2. Klots
    Schiit Vali2 or Valhalla2 (depends on budget). What dac you have?

3. Ekul61
    i use a fiio x5 as my source and dac. The line out is then ran through a shiit Asgard2 amp. The x5 can be used as a separate dac for other sources.
    Any suggestion about dacs and amps will be appreciated.

4. Klots
    What is your budget?

5. Ekul61
    I'm thinking $500.

6. Klots
    The Modi multibit and Vali2.

7. Guidostrunk
    You can possibly look into a bottlehead crack. I've seen them in the for sale forums under $500 , with the speedball upgrade.

8. Ekul61
    Thx. I was at $500 just for the amp

9. Ekul61
    Went to the 800 amp thread. Many won't even look at a amp under $2000. I find this hard to believe. As my Asgard 2 $250 amp is quite good.

10. Jodet
    How about a Violectric V90?

http://violectric-usa.com/headphone-amplifiers

Last year they had a 25% off sale for Black Friday. If they do the same this year it would be about four hundred bucks.

My 700's and 800S sound great on my Violectric amp. There's four level setting for gain so you can get it exactly the way you want it. And I absolutely love the volume pot on Violectric amps - best I've ever used.

11. Ekul61
    Thx ^will check it out. You would certainly think a $500 amp would work great.

12. Ekul61
    Seems like many suggest tube amps with the 800. Do you agree.?

13. endgame
    It doesn’t need it. The 6k peak is tamed with the S, especially if you get an upgraded pure copper cable. They can still sound a bit bright with the stock silver plated copper cable in my opinion.

14. koven Contributor
    I think 800 + tubes sound really great. I enjoy it more than SS pairings.

15. Jodet
    Yes, I've had good luck with tube amps and 800S's and 700's. I've also had very good luck with Violectric amps and in your price range that's something I'd consider (especially if they do another 25% black Friday sale this year).