HD800 vs WA2
Jan 7, 2017 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sr20dem0n

Head-Fier
Brief history time - I've moved through a few headphones in the last couple of decades, including the SR-225, HE-400, ATH-M50, HD595, and HD650.  I've also had a few amps, including the AMB M3, AMB B22, and the Speedball Crack.

I mostly listen to rock/metal.  The SR-225 are painfully bright, the HE-400 are alright but not amazing to me, I liked the HD595, the ATH-M50 are good for sealed, and the HD650 are my favorite.  The AMB M3 is good, I use it at work, the B22 is very accurate and clean, but the Speedball Crack with the HD650 is far and away my favorite combo.  The standard tubes are alright, but with the 12AU7 clear top input and 6AS7G output on the HD650...dear god, it's as close to perfection as I've ever heard.  It's smooth and non-fatiguing, but incredibly energetic and, I don't know, I guess "aggressive" is as good an adjective as any, given the material I listen to on it.  I have a ~$10k stereo setup, and it can't hold a candle to the HD650 + 6AS7G Crack.

That said, I can't help but think that there's better out there.  I've had my eye on the HD800, but before I dive in, I'm curious if the $1k+ would be better invested in a different amp like the WA2, or maybe the HD800 + WA2 combo, or something else, or maybe they'd all be a waste of money.  Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back