HD800 vs. Unique Melody Aero Custom IEM
Oct 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Blaze182

Head-Fier
Yeah, pretty dumb question I agree. 

I had a car accident 6 weeks ago, car was written off - it was 80km/hr hit with two semi-trailer trucks and a fuel tank. 

Nobody can find my B&O in-ear headphones that I've had for about 8-10 years and my K701 was damaged. I can only assume the B&O's got thrown out either in/during the accident or someone took them (I doubt) I don't know in any case.

Anyway, here's the remains of her: 
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/s12Blaze182/IMG_8486_zps5ce1aaaa.jpg

After everything has gone wrong for me in the past 2 months, I can at least count the fact nobody was hurt as a blessing, and I have a new job in Western Australia (I'm in Victoria - other side of the country haha)

I'm considering the following seriously:
HD800 
Unique Melody Aero Custom IEM

I plan on using the headphones at home, work and in my 4hr flights to and from Perth, weekly.

Portability would be awesome, but at the end of the day I pack super light and I wouldn't mind if I had to bring a fat can like the HD800. 

I would like to use in-ear phones at the gym too, but its not something I would base a decision off. 

At the end of the day, I think the form factor of the Melody Aero is what I'm after, but I love the K701s to death, and I am basically looking for an upgrade from them, in either of those. I've never gone IEM before either, and am skeptical of the audio quality.

Its no easy answer, I'm just hoping someone could share some experience? 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 10
Well, the HD800 and the Aero are very different. 
If you are looking at an IEM around the HD800 price range, you might want to consider the 1plus2 but it doesn't have a lot of isolation. 
Otherwise, the HD800 is great is you like a brighter presentation however, it has next to no isolation and would be a nightmare on a plane. 
Personally, I wouldn't use expensive IEMs at the gym and for me, a cheap $50 one suffices and I non't be too sad if it breaks. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 10
1plus2 Looks good!

I've never broken a headphone at the gym, I just run the cable under my shirt and behind my back - never really gets in the way :D

I think the plane trip is a big component of this, so I can't ignore it. Is there any major drawbacks of IEM vs normal cans? 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 10
  1plus2 Looks good!

I've never broken a headphone at the gym, I just run the cable under my shirt and behind my back - never really gets in the way :D

I think the plane trip is a big component of this, so I can't ignore it. Is there any major drawbacks of IEM vs normal cans? 

Well, IEMs have been criticised for not having a large soundstage, but the 1plus2 is the first IEM I have ever heard that disproves that theory. IEMs may not fit everybody and the 1plus2 is quite large. I have to put them a bit forward or else my ears start hurting after around 2 hours but I have small ears. 

The huge plus about IEMs is they are generally less source dependant than high end headphones such as the HD800. The 1plus2 sounds good through a smartphone, but the HD800 wouldn't sound very good through a crappy source. 

However, like most dynamic driver IEMs, these are vented and do not offer a lot of isolation and won't be the best for flights. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah I know what you're saying. Its a tricky balance - I've considered the usual reference cans but they just seem too big and source dependent. 

I actually have bigger ears which is why I don't consider smaller cans at all - I like in ear or over ear, not on ear, lol. 

Any experience with the  Spiral Ears SE5?

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 10
  Yeah I know what you're saying. Its a tricky balance - I've considered the usual reference cans but they just seem too big and source dependent. 

I actually have bigger ears which is why I don't consider smaller cans at all - I like in ear or over ear, not on ear, lol. 

Any experience with the  Spiral Ears SE5?

Personally, no, but I can point you to some people who do.
I'm pretty sure that lee730 and tupac0306 have both and maybe they can give you a comparison. I don't think that the maker ships outside EU though so you might have to go with a forwarding agent. 
If you are interested in the 1plus2, PM me. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Only concern for the 1plus2 is their price seems steep for a non-custom. Would just like to find out if their dynamic driver provides a noticeable benefit over the better fit, isolation of a custom.

My brother is in the UK at least, so he could ship the SE5 if I went that route... Just not sure - reading reviews on all 3 IEMs atm :D

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 10
I don't want to start a custom vs universal war, but I do not see advantages of customs other than isolation. 

I had a UM Miracle and I didn't like the custom fit and I feel like the 1plus2 sounds better. I honestly don't know why people think that it's fine to pay almost $2000 for a custom, but not willing to shell out that much for a universal. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Aaah didn't even know there was a war to be had! Haha, I would just like to make a good decision - based on which gives me an awesome neutral sound with a wide stage, then portability and isolation =D

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 10
After a long journey in Head-fi, I would recommend IEMS (custom or universal) if you wish to have 

Portability
Comfort
Intimate sound
Privacy
Cheaper price (you won't need 5k amps and dacs to get the best out of them)

These are all the fundamental reasons why we go head-fi in the first place.
After owning the HD800 and LCD2, i can tell you that both these headphones go against the values listed above. The only advantage that they have is sound quality and imaging.

If you are after sound quality, it is more prudent to go with a nearfield listening setup with a good pair of monitor speakers. No matter how many times people say that you can get better sound quality for your buck by going for high end headphones, I will say that it is COMPLETELY UNTRUE.

Reasons you would go for high end flagship headphones in my opinion (and experience) is

1) you want the ABSOLUTE BEST SOUND, but don't want to have it annoying the neighbours or family members
2) don't have the space for mini monitors (hard to believe but it does happen)

I've transitioned from a very respectable headphone setup to a nearfield KEF LS50 setup, and can tell you that its heads over heels better than any headphone i've heard at home as well as auditioned. Tone, attack, imaging and soundstaging are much better. The only shortcoming that I've found is that bass extension doesn't do much below 40 hz- easily remedied by a small and quick subwoofer. With the right room treatment (a couple of absorption panels), the room becomes a negligible factor when listening nearfield (1-5m away from the speakers)

Price is NOT a deciding factor.
A top of the line HD800 setup including cabling, a headamp GSX mkii and a decent DAC would run you 6 grand easy. Better sound can be achieved on that budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back