HD800 vs LCD-X vs HE-6 vs SR-007 for critical listening and monitoring purposes?
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #33 of 90
The mods done to the 6s address both concerns Max. I'd put the grill modded 6s up there with the 800s soundstage. We also found a weak amp will kill the 6s soundstage. The felt mod took the reflective high energy off the panel surfaces. But to the question, I would consider the 800s without any mods to the HE-6 for convenience to monitor. I know many have made impressions on the 6s early and cast them aside. They didn't perform well with dynamic headphone setups (K1000 excluded). If you've not heard them from a member who's system is built around the HE-6, you sell the 6s short.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #35 of 90
So almost every other amp is bright then? I find the HD800s dull with their amps.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #37 of 90
I like the 800 with tubes too. But it's almost a philosophical issue, if I really have a problem with the sound signature of a headphone then I'd rather pick a different set of cans over trying to rectify it with a coloured amp.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #38 of 90
I like the 800 with tubes too. But it's almost a philosophical issue, if I really have a problem with the sound signature of a headphone then I'd rather pick a different set of cans over trying to rectify it with a coloured amp.

Very much agreed. Why spend loads of additional money to mask the flaws of a very expensive headphone (which should sound great from the start) when you can just get a great headphone instead? The HD 800 delivers sub-par sonic performance for its asking price, and it's sadly been unfairly hyped. I fell in the HD 800 hype trap myself, and ended up selling my pair. Got an LCD-2 instead, much more natural sound. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 90
If that's your attitude, I wouldn't bother with anything over $200-$300. You can certainly find something in that range that is pleasing. LCD-2 isn't without it's flaws and it is near the price of HD800s now.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #41 of 90
as long as you're not interested in listening to music, the HD800 are fine.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 90
If your sound preference includes having two subwoofers attached to your ears.

confused_face_2.gif
 The LCD-2 has just the right amount of bass, delivers when supposed to and never intrudes on the midrange. It's just that most open headphones by nature can't really hit those low notes with enough authority. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back