HD800 vs LCD-X vs HE-6 vs SR-007 for critical listening and monitoring purposes?
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 90
With a pro studio amp like the SPL Phonitor the HD-800 treble peak is very audible especially with electronic music. Now, to mix or master with 800s it can be very hard. First your mix/mastering can get dark, opposite to the treble peak. Second there is no studio monitor that I know to be boost by + 5 db in 20Hz area. As well Sennheiser never claim for the HD-800 to be a studio monitor headphones.

Is possible to roll off the treble peak of the HD800 with some tube amp, but then the 800s will be not so balanced headphones.

Adding to what Bourne said.. I don't believe HD800s are the best monitoring headphone out there, but given the choices it is the only one that is remotely useful for that purpose.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 90
Lemme guess Acix: K70x w/ SPL amps still? Good to know you've found something you're happy with all these years for your monitoring purposes. That said-there are plenty of mixers around here that have found that combo laughable for monitoring-but they're nowhere near as vocal I'll give you that.

-Daniel

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 90
Are you monitoring in studio with the HD-800?

So are you saying you'd rather take a dark LCD, a bright HE-6, or a U shaped 007, none of which have good soundstage over an HD800?

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 90
So are you saying you'd rather take a dark LCD, a bright HE-6, or a U shaped 007, none of which have good soundstage over an HD800?

The HE-6 is certainly not brighter than than the HD-800. I think I can say this with some confidence, as I own both and listen to both extensively. Do you actually own a properly amped one? Or is this just speculation based on reviews you've read and/or a brief audition?

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #21 of 90
It's going to really depend on the gear built around these phones. For monitoring I'd go for HD800's.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #22 of 90
The HE-6 is certainly not brighter than than the HD-800. I think I can say this with some confidence, as I own both and listen to both extensively. Do you actually own a properly amped one? Or is this just speculation based on reviews you've read and/or a brief audition?

You are right about the HD800 and HE-6 both being bright, but the problem is the HE-6 also lacks in soundstage. 2 negatives vs 1. If things like comfort matter then it becomes 3 negatives vs 1. Easy choice. Yes I have owned the HE-6 as well as the SR-007. If you had taken a second to look at my profile, you'd have known this already. I heard the LCD-X at the Austin meet a few weeks ago on 2 different rigs, one fairly neutral one brighter. The bright rig made the LCD-X actually sound near neutral, but it was painfully bright with the HD800.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 90
No contest on the comfort factor but those 'negatives' you simply add and subtract are highly subjective and unquantifiable.  If musical enjoyment were a matter of applying a formula then there'd be little point in having a site such as this.  

The HE-6's soundstage is not lacking to me, it's just that the HD-800 is larger than life in this respect.  Comes only really into play with large orchestral works for me.  If you want a 'negative' for the 800 then here's one:  except if your recording is perfect its extremely revealing character tends to pick things apart and takes away the enjoyment.  Once again, it depends on what you want to use them for.  I have no monitoring experience but there they might be the more suitable cans. If for pure euphony and enjoyment the HE-6 are the winner to me.  But to be clear:  I think both are great headphones when properly paired/amped.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #24 of 90
This thread's name includes 'monitoring'. I'm guessing pure euphony and enjoyment are not the criteria being tested. Subjective and unquantifiable only to a degree, and with the focus on monitoring/recording, the soundstage advantage is firmly in the hands of the HD800 (virtually universal agreement). If you are recording, you are listening directly to the master live as it is rolling. It doesn't get any more perfect than controlling your own recording, so that argument is thrown out entirely.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #25 of 90
The op states for "critical listening and monitoring purposes".  In this case go with the HD800.   If the thread was labeled for "pure enjoyment of multiple genres" I would say go with the HE-6 and of course a nice low powered speaker amp.  

Note: The HD800 is not the only headphone that's good for critical listening.  You can use the HE-6 for critical listening all day long - they don't lack in detail retrieval or resolution at all.  For monitoring - I have no idea.

Have not heard the LCD-X so can't comment.  I have heard the SR 007 mk1s on many different occasions - these may be a little dark for some music, but still very much ejoyable.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #26 of 90
So srs question: 
Would my Emotiva powering a HE-6 be a fantastic setup? (thinking about waiting for the new Hifimans too)
...Or the HD-800 powered by Bottlehead Crack + S/B
So hard to choose

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #27 of 90
  So srs question: 
Would my Emotiva powering a HE-6 be a fantastic setup? (thinking about waiting for the new Hifimans too)
So hard to choose

The Emotiva Mini-x a-100?  Fantasic - no, just ok.  The HD800 / Bottlehead Crack + S/B may be better.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 90
  So srs question: 
So hard to choose

Don't know about the Emotiva, have heard good things about the bottle head crack from people whose ears I trust but didn't audition it myself so can't say.  For what it's worth, I also listen to the HE-6 with my dark voice 337 dual mono tube amp, didn't expect it to work at all but to my surprise it did.  They don't specify power output anywhere but in an interview the builder mentioned they designed it with the K-1000 as one of the headphones used for testing.  I'm guessing output to be >1W per channel into the HE-6.  With the Tung Sol 5998 power tube it sounds very good, volume is at about 12-1 and that's plenty loud to me.  Many people feel it doesn't pair well with the HD-800 but in my experience it sounds very good and takes a bit of the harshness away.  Warning:  the 337 (I purchased it used at a very good price) is the only tube amp I own so read the above keeping that in mind.  It also sounds (for a tube amp) very neutral compared to those I've auditioned so far.  You can usually pick one up on Ebay or similar sites at a very good price but do your homework as there are several revisions, some with higher-powered and better spec components.  The quality of construction is very high with point to point wiring and excellent soldering, it far surpasses e.g. the Sophia Electric in that respect, their products sell at a tidy multiple of the price.

If I were you I'd wait for the new HifiMans, given the pricing indications I read I seriously doubt that they'll replace the HE-6 as a flagship but more choice is always better and one never knows.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #29 of 90
........................ There's not a week that goes by that someone posts in the HD800 thread 'I was worried about the treble, but I ordered them anyway. Got them, treble sounds great to me. What's the big deal?"

+1. I was one that shied away from the 800 due to "treble issues". However, last week there was a sale in India where one could pick up a 800 for about $ 900 new. So I got it and am running it through the Bifrost/Lyr/Vali. Have a Zana Deux on the way. Anyway, I listened and muttered " no treble issues". The detail is stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back