Hd800 solid state amp recommendations
Jul 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bluebair

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, excuse me if this isnt posted in the right fourm or if there is another thread already about this.

I am looking for solid state amps that are a good match for my hd800 with the super dupont resonator mod. I was looking at the ifi ican se for the warm and bass bost that makes the hd800's bass flat. Any other ss amp reccomendations in the $300 - $600 range are appreciated.

Thank you!

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 6
The best you can get in that price range is a Dynalo variant. I would spring for one from mjolnir-audio.com. Currently they have one for $655, and a used one for $510. The $655 one has a nicer chassis and loop outputs, but the two will sound the same.

Though if by some miracle you come across a used HeadAmp GS-1, get that instead. You can't get a better single ended solid state headphone amp than that.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 6
I am looking for solid state amps that are a good match for my hd800 with the super dupont resonator mod...Any other ss amp recommendations in the $300 - $600 range are appreciated.

Meier Jazz FF (Reviews say it's closer to the sound of the Symphony and Cantate.2 that I have than the regular Jazz, which was swung more towards the O2 when cranked up)
Gilmore Lite Mk2 (haven't heard this one but it should be similar enough to the original that I got to try with the HD800, but better)

Burson Audio Play (haven't tried this one at all and I haven't been reading up on it, but check if it sounds anything like the Soloist; if it does, that's a good thing)

I was looking at the ifi ican se for the warm and bass bost that makes the hd800's bass flat.

iFi doesn't list any specs for the frequencies and Q-Factor of that bass boost circuit, how do you know it will be flat? For all you know it'll make it even less flat considering it's already almost flat, just needs a a progressively higher gain boost below 50hz, or a low shelf EQ setting with around Q1.4 and +3dB centered at around 30hz to 35hz.
HF_22.jpg

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 6
4793683_thumb.png
Meier Jazz FF (Reviews say it's closer to the sound of the Symphony and Cantate.2 that I have than the regular Jazz, which was swung more towards the O2 when cranked up)
Gilmore Lite Mk2 (haven't heard this one but it should be similar enough to the original that I got to try with the HD800, but better)

Burson Audio Play (haven't tried this one at all and I haven't been reading up on it, but check if it sounds anything like the Soloist; if it does, that's a good thing)

iFi doesn't list any specs for the frequencies and Q-Factor of that bass boost circuit, how do you know it will be flat? For all you know it'll make it even less flat considering it's already almost flat, just needs a a progressively higher gain boost below 50hz, or a low shelf EQ setting with around Q1.4 and +3dB centered at around 30hz to 35hz.
Here are the graphs, if you match it up, it almost perfectly levels out bass, so close that I might assume the bass boost was made with these headphones in mind. I have used it with the hd800's and found it to sound very flat and punchy with the bass boost on.

Attachments

• 4793683.png
    4793683.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Here are the graphs, if you match it up, it almost perfectly levels out bass, so close that I might assume the bass boost was made with these headphones in mind. I have used it with the hd800's and found it to sound very flat and punchy with the bass boost on.

It'll be somewhat flat but iCan Bass 1 setting still adds a little bit over what's needed to just flatten it, but short of cutom programming an EQ setting, yes that comes close.

iCan Bass 2 though will basically make it slightly close to an HD650, except it still has more low bass and overall weaker below 1000hz.

Either way if you already like either curve setting you'd be gambling on other amps you might as well just get the iCan SE.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 6
It'll be somewhat flat but iCan Bass 1 setting still adds a little bit over what's needed to just flatten it, but short of cutom programming an EQ setting, yes that comes close.

iCan Bass 2 though will basically make it slightly close to an HD650, except it still has more low bass and overall weaker below 1000hz.

Either way if you already like either curve setting you'd be gambling on other amps you might as well just get the iCan SE.
Exactly, but i am definitely open to other amps if they are better amps, then I can use sonarworks for the eq if i feel its necessary c:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back