HD800 Listening Experience with different amps & sources
Jul 20, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #47 of 74
In reading that review, I felt like a kid in a candy store...hmm...come to think of it, you are one lucky
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Like a few others have said, in reading your review, I had the sudden desire to go and look up some of the music that you used for your review; no luck. Can you give a few more details regarding the artists?

The various amps, sources, cables, music, etc., Wow! That was a first, I have never read anything like that before. Speaking of amplifiers, the Rudi followed by the Phonitor, sounded like they had some magic going on there. Wishfully thinking, I would love to hear some of those synergies, so that I could form so opinions of my own. It sort of sounds like you have not finished...August/September more scenarios and equipment maybe? If not, I am elated with this review as is!

...your command of the english language?! If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never noticed it. In other words, you have nothing to worry about; your writing ability is to marvel. Along with Script, you are one of my favorite writers! The fact that you only tested the HD 800 for four days on that quantity of gear is amazing!

As always, appreciate what you do, and I look forward to reading this review a few more times.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #48 of 74
Francis,

wow thanks a bunch for that insightful and comprehensive review (which it is despite what yopu said earlier
wink_face.gif
)
I have to re-read this carefully to capture all that is included. For now I am happy to know that you liked the Phonitor a lot with the HD800.
I came to appreciate the AKG701 a lot more since I own the Phonitor (they had to be undusted quite literally) and thus am looking forward a lot to trying the HD800 on it as well. As I am not looking forward to go balanced this seems to me like a system to settle on and progressively alter the source going fwd. Well you never know....
k701smile.gif

I will try to dig up the Accustic Arts record, though it is not a bargain even in Germany (~35€)

Thanks again for sharing this.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #49 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you have a much better source for music in HK then around here. Even going on the web I pull up HK for Clear Audio etc but nothing semi local and nothing at Acoustic Sounds, though I could have overlooked something.

I guess I will have to move to HK. :^) I have the K2 sampler and it is excellent. Though well played and a warhorse of sort, the 8 Seasons on K2 is something I would like to get.

Hi John,

Here is the FIM weblink for the K2 HD CDs

Classical, jazz, and crossover music CDs, XRCDs and SACDs. Sound clips

You will find the "Red Cliff Capriccio" on the top of first page, and the "Happy Coat" on the top of the 2nd page.

When I have some time, I would be happy to take pictures of the album art and post it here so that you know more about the CDs.

Francis

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #50 of 74
Wow! I am really flattered by all the kind words from you all. You have been very kind to me - by bearing with my limiting words and vague expressions.

My hearty thanks to all the encouragements. I have been reading a lot of great writeups here and am glad that I am given the opportunity to contribute in return.

Sure, when the Balancing Act arrives I can anticipate the excitement of some serious listening with HD800 in SE and balanced, along side with the K1000s, Edition 8, and PS-1s. ( Not yet decided on the PS1000 though).

Please also accept my sincere apologies for not being able to respond to individual posts as I will have to catch up with my work after 2 weeks of indulging myself in music.

Finally, some feedback on my views regarding the Phonitor. I think I am one of the early adoptors of the Phonitor when Hans of Qables brought it to the attention of this forum. The Phonitor is high resolving, neutral and actually very headphone friendly. However, I won't call it "cold and analytical". Some time ago I wrote about my impressions with the Phonitor and I call it the magical "Truth Teller" - being able to combine precision and coherence, without adding flavour of its own, in bringing a natural, high definition sonic picture is something that is so rare in the market.

For those who look for raw power and impact, the Phonitor may not be the best in class, despite its 120V Rail technology. But the dynamic response offered has been more than enough to cover my needs.

F. Lo

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #51 of 74
While a little off-topic I noticed some of you are interested in finding better CDs.

Here I just want to bring your attention to the Ultimate Disc which I hope to be able to try in the near future. It will be available both as blank media, or recorded albums (Collector's UD Edition).

This is probably the best quality CD format one can buy today. You can download a booklet about the UD from this link :

Classical, jazz, and crossover music CDs, XRCDs and SACDs. Sound clips

Happy searching
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #52 of 74
Jul 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #53 of 74
Jul 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #54 of 74
Thank you Francis for those wonderfully expressed impressions. One thing you have succeeded in doing is to make me miss my HP4 terribly.
redface.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #56 of 74
Are The HD800 a big update of the K701? or a minor update ?

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #57 of 74
Francis - thanks for the phenomenal way in which you articulate your experience with the HD800 and the various guises it can take depending on the gear it is paired with. In particular, it is not the descriptions of the impressions, but the way in which they are compared against each other that prove most useful.

If you get a chance, I'd be most interested in your impressions of how the HD800 pairs up with an OTL tube amp (which I believe the Earmax is?)

Best regards
X

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #58 of 74
Francis, what a terrific review. Highly enjoyable reading. Thanks for taking the time you put in to this!

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #59 of 74
Francis, your review of the HD 800 was great! Thanks a lot. Originally I planned to review a lot of different amps my self with the HD 800. So my planned list is:

Corda Symphony (which I own)
Black Cube Linear (Norbert Lehmann will most probable lend me one)
CEC HD 53 N (getting this one for a month from a shop close by)
Earmax SE (Matzio a fellow from the German hifi forum)
SPL Phonitor (deka a fellow from the German hifi forum)

At the moment I am still waiting untill the production director can confrim that the small problems with the HD 800 are all settled and I can receive a kind of MK1b.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #60 of 74
Francis,

I picked up my copy of the Accustic Arts CD yesterday and after listening to it once I have to agree that it is really amazing. Thanks for the tip.

One item I just recognized when re-reading your impressions is that you turned the center level off on the Phonitor.
Is that your normal setting that works best for you or was that set specifically for the HD800 to cater for their characteristics?

I ususually set the center level to -1.2, and occasionally to -1.6 with the ATH W5000 - whenever there is a singer or mid frequency centric instrument in the center as the W5k emphasise this specifically - thus bringing the singer a bit too close to me for my taste.
But I am still playing with this feature to see what eventually fits me best going forward.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back