HD800 DAC Pairing
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 20
Gotta put some of those Audiophile Rocks on top of it too.

The ADI-2 DAC FS measures among the best and goes for around $900-$1050 and has a ton of features, like parametric equalizers for each channel. They just updated it, so make sure to get the updated version.

Schiit DACs are usually some of the worst measuring and have been known to have grounding and noise problems, but some people like the poorer measuring ones due to harmonics they produce that makes the sound "fuller" or "more musical" as some people describe.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 20
I would look into the Schiit Gungnir multibit.
It was one of the best pairing for a HD800 I listened to under $1000. Just make sure to leave it on for a few days to get it to burn in.

https://www.schiit.com/products/gungnir

Plus Schiit has a 14 day return policy, so you can get your money back in full if you don't like it.

Thank you will take a look for sure.

Any experience with Resonnesence?

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 20
I'd pair something warmer than a DS dac with HD800 for sure.

DACs usually measure so linearly in terms of frequency response that any warmness shouldn't be heard. What DACs have you heard that have audible distortion in the bass region? They must be pretty cheap. (A deviation from perfectly flat is distortion).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 20
Budget is 1000 more or less
Despite what others may have said about Schiit's products, they are fine and sound wonderful. They have a 15-day trial period, so why not try them out along with other brands and see what SOUNDS best to you?

Don't fall for the "it measures horrible, so it must be horrible" mantra. Tube amps measure badly, but sound wonderful (depending on your tastes).

I have not heard the Schiit Bifrost 2 yet, but it is said to have an unbelievable sound for its price. I am also interested in the Audio-GD line, but I think that product line is a little higher than your stated budget.

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 20
DACs usually measure so linearly in terms of frequency response that any warmness shouldn't be heard. What DACs have you heard that have audible distortion in the bass region? They must be pretty cheap. (A deviation from perfectly flat is distortion).
You're drinking the measurement kool-aid. Which is all good if it's just yourself involved, however you're dishing out advice based on things you have not actually heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back