HD800 Amp match made in heaven.. what is it?
Dec 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #31 of 36
I have a feeling Mark will want to buy my stacker after he listens to it this sunday.
Nothing comes close to it in the 5-6k range in SE amps, IMHO of course
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with the hd800, the dac1 was a better headphone amp / dac combo than the Ultra Micro Stack?

That's my view. The Benchmark/800 combo is tight, crisp, and enables you to (as the cliche goes) "see deep into the mix. Transient response is fabulous - if you get to listen to the Benchmark, check out the congas at the beginning of "Hotel California" on "Hell Freezes Over" as an example. Bass is deep and controlled - listen to Edgar Meyer's solo on "From Ankara to Izmir" on the Jerry Douglas/Russ Barenberg/Edgar Meyer record "Skip Hop & Wobble" and prepare to be amazed.

My bottom line: I've been involved in music since age six. I know what things are supposed to sound like. I get more of that out of the Benchmark/800 combo than any other gear I've owned. And if your primary source is files stored on a Mac, adding Amarra will make it that much better.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #34 of 36
everyone's taste and hearing is different. You may not like benchmark, but that doesn't mean burns* doesn't.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by usinare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the benchmark is analytical sounding, but not exciting. it doesnot get you involved deeply in the music. it is more an accurate tool for audio analysis.

Maybe in the system you heard it in it sounds like that but not in my system. My DAC1 PRE sounds anything but analytical as a source in my speaker system with a McIntosh MC275 V vacuum tube power amp, Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Ultimate preamp and Harbeth Super HL-5 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back