HD800+3MOVE: Is says "srchchhhscrch" when i adjust the volume
Sep 3, 2009 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

niemion

100+ Head-Fier
Computer > USB > Corda 3MOVE (running without battery and adaptor) > HD800

When I turn up the volume (or down) is says this "srchchhhscrch" sound. It's a lil bit hard to explain but it sounds like when you plug and unplug headphones/speakers while they're still turned on. If you don't know how that sounds then.. well, maybe a bit like when you're tuning in on a radio station. You know, like "sssscrch". The sound can vary a bit, even when playing the same tracks. Some times it's worse in the left phone, some times in the right. Some songs will make this sound more obvious than others. The intro in Diana Krall, Folks Who Live on the Hill, will make the noises stand out clear and loud.

Sometimes a similar noise is present in particular parts of some tracks WITHOUT changing the volume IF played at high volume (still listening range). I noted two tracks which consequently displays this problem:
  • My Morning Jacket, Touch Me I'm Going To scream, track 12, the long version (at 0:33, right phone)
  • Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah (at 5:58, left phone)
All songs are quality recordings in FLAC.

Is there something wrong with the headphones, the AMP/DAC or is it simply because the 3MOVE can't supply the HD800 enough power? Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 13
I'll be the first to reply and say that both problems are because of the amp.

First, that's scratching noise you hear as you turn the volume knob is probably because of the volume pot. In general, the more expensive (and hopefully better quality) amps will not do this, but you do get what you pay for.

And second, the HD 800 demands a real, quality, powerful desktop amp. IIRC, that is a mediocre portable amp, and the headphones are likely clipping and/or going screwy with the overall produced frequencies because of that.

I'd recommend that at the very least, you should buy a dedicated DAC, as well as a dedicated amp for the HD 800. Nothing cheap, either.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 13
I say it's the volume pot. Maybe some dirt or oxidation in it. Turning the volume knob up and down repeatedly may cure the issue, but there's no guarantee. Otherwise inform Jan to get it fixed or a replacement.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks both.

Quote:

a mediocre portable amp

HeadphoneAddict and Skylap seems not to agree with you on that. However, it's not a powerful desktop amp regardless of how you put it.

Review: Portable amp roundup! 37 portable amps reviewed and compared

REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5

Quote:

I'd recommend that at the very least, you should buy a dedicated DAC, as well as a dedicated amp for the HD 800.

Yes babe, I'm already looking. (signature)

Quote:

I say it's the volume pot. Maybe some dirt or oxidation in it. Turning the volume knob up and down repeatedly may cure the issue, but there's no guarantee. Otherwise inform Jan to get it fixed or a replacement.

I'll try that. I'll contact Jan, but only if the AMP/DAC is really faulty. If it just doesn't drives the HD800 well, nothing he can do about it anyway.

I should add that I'm using a 1/4 to 1/8 converter from Grado which could be a factor too, I'll try to see if replacing it with another helps.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 13
I even get the scratching noise when no music is playing and sound is muted on my computer. Just have to adjust the volume slightly on the portable AMP.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I even get the scratching noise when no music is playing and sound is muted on my computer. Just have to adjust the volume slightly on the portable AMP.

It's the potentiometer! Bad luck! But there's still hope that turning it quickly from min. to max. repeatedly may fix it.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 13
New findings!

Holding the AMP with one hand adjusting with the other fixes the scratching related to changing the volume (both when muted and playing a song).

The problems quoted below prevails though:

Quote:

Sometimes a similar noise is present in particular parts of some tracks WITHOUT changing the volume IF played at high volume (still listening range). I noted two tracks which consequently displays this problem:
My Morning Jacket, Touch Me I'm Going To scream, track 12, the long version (at 0:33, right phone)
Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah (at 5:58, left phone)

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Actually I just have to touch the chassis of the 3MOVE, some way or another when adjusting the volume. Then no noise.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 13
Now I'm clueless. – Is there a way to ground the amp?

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm clueless. – Is there a way to ground the amp?

You mean like putting a wire from the chassis to my radiator? It's only connected to my computer via USB, so maybe if I grounded the computers PSU? Unfortunately I'm living in an old house which is not grounded.
angry_face.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like putting a wire from the chassis to my radiator?

Yeah, something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back