HD650 woody? How would it sound?
Oct 15, 2004 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ReasonablyLucid

500+ Head-Fier
I was recently able to hear a set of 600's with the wood cup things on them from audiophile.com. Considering getting them for my 650s but I dont know anyone around here that has such a pair (unless someone here from the seattle area has the 650 woodies and would let me listen to them
wink.gif
) so ill go on other peoples opinions.

How do/would they sound?

Oct 15, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 11
I've recently came across a few woodies from Headphile and am working on some impressions. I like the 650 with both wide and narrow cups. I give you more feed back in a week or so.

woodies.jpg

Oct 15, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cd3000
I've recently came across a few woodies from Headphile and am working on some impressions. I like the 650 with both wide and narrow cups. I give you more feed back in a week or so.

woodies.jpg

Come on.......At least give us some early impressions. Zu cables on both phones? How about wieght and comfort?

Oct 15, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
I was recently able to hear a set of 600's with the wood cup things on them from audiophile.com. Considering getting them for my 650s but I dont know anyone around here that has such a pair (unless someone here from the seattle area has the 650 woodies and would let me listen to them
wink.gif
) so ill go on other peoples opinions.

How do/would they sound?

they sound great! no more 'boring' sound and 'veil', they bring you up to the stage...

Oct 15, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 11
Every time I think I've reached some sort of conclusion I hear something that changes my mind.

2 zu's, 2 black & silver.

Early impressions? I like them all. I think the wood has improved the sound of each of them. I think the easiest way of describing the sound change for me is going from an outdoor concert to a large concert hall or a smaller hall depending on which cup you have on.

More later, I have to get back to listening.

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I think the easiest way of describing the sound change for me is going from an outdoor concert to a large concert hall or a smaller hall depending on which cup you have on.

If you want high fidelity, stay away from this mod! You can just as well switch any effect device into the signal path. The closed back doesn't even make a closed headphone out of the HD 6xx: the baffle is still open. The whole «benefit» is the addition of reflected sound to the original sound. Well, if you're bored by neutrality and like excitement, you may want to do this mod anyway...

peacesign.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Well, if you're bored by neutrality and like excitement...

You should get yourself some SR-225's or MS-2's

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
You should get yourself some SR-225's or MS-2's

I concur however when I had the 225s I missed the 650s smoothness and balanced nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back