HD650 vs HE-300/400
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dub Beatz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've never owned a pair of higher mid-range cans and was wondering if you guys could offer your input in terms of sound signatures etc. I'm in the market to pick some up for listening at work. I just noticed Hifiman is doing the HE-300 / EF-3 for $250, which is a freakin' steal. Unless the HD650 is worth $150 more (plus I'll need to buy a decent amp) tell me why I'll love the HE-300! Other people say the HE-300 offers a similar sound signature as the HD650, but is slightly more engaging. I'm also not going to look past the HE-400 as an option, but would need a proper amp. Any thoughts?

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 25
  Hey guys,

I've never owned a pair of higher mid-range cans and was wondering if you guys could offer your input in terms of sound signatures etc. I'm in the market to pick some up for listening at work. I just noticed Hifiman is doing the HE-300 / EF-3 for $250, which is a freakin' steal. Unless the HD650 is worth $150 more (plus I'll need to buy a decent amp) tell me why I'll love the HE-300! Other people say the HE-300 offers a similar sound signature as the HD650, but is slightly more engaging. I'm also not going to look past the HE-400 as an option, but would need a proper amp. Any thoughts?

I'd go with the HD650s to prevent future heartache. Don't get me wrong, the HE-300's are a great can, but they won't be your last. Sonically, the HD650 IMO is in a different league, and with many amps to choose from, it scales quite nicely.

But if you hurry, there's an HE-500 on sale for $350 on FS. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Isn't more convenient to use a closed back headphone for listening at work? 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 25
  I'd go with the HD650s to prevent future heartache. Don't get me wrong, the HE-300's are a great can, but they won't be your last. Sonically, the HD650 IMO is in a different league, and with many amps to choose from, it scales quite nicely.

But if you hurry, there's an HE-500 on sale for $350 on FS. 

Thanks for the input man. Currently, I'm trying to save the most amount of dough, which is why $249 for the HE-300 and the EF-3 seems like an incredible deal, vs the HD650's $400 price tag without an amp. I'm not exactly worried about future upgrades, and I make a headphone purchase very infrequently. My last purchase was the Denon D1100 which I bought about a year and 1/2 ago. Do you think price / performance wise, the HE-300 with the EF-3 beats the HD650? I just don't know if I can justify all that extra cash, without an amp

Isn't more convenient to use a closed back headphone for listening at work? 

I know, haha. Here's the thing, I'm a software developer who communicates directly with clients via telephone, so I must always be able to hear if my phone rings, and better yet, the environment around me. I have my own office, so sound bleed isn't a problem, it won't be bothering anyone.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 25
I've never used a dedicated headphone amp before. Based on the picture of the EF3, can someone explain to me how I would plus this into my work computer?

http://head-direct.com/images/product_images/2014-03-31/06060b9c62304667b8d07418b686e722/20-58-24742-3fd96e78c88aab3bf988194f532ed1d5.png

http://head-direct.com/images/product_images/2014-03-31/a9a16e6e98debfd41487fe56de272b49/20-57-52742-8b08b67ae074c4703c7ba790970d6075.png

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 25
Haven't heard the HE-300...so I can't comment on that. But the HD650 is a gorgeous sounding headphone. I think it'd be a great work headphone too, if the sound leakage really won't be an issue for you. I say that because it is a very smooth, non-fatiguing listen which means you can listen for hours without it tiring your ears. And it really has a beautiful tone to it. You don't need super amping for it - just pick up a used Schiit Magni or Vali for under $100 and you're golden.

The HE-400 has a wonky tonal balance. It has fatiguing treble. And it is a heavy headphone. Too many negatives for your needs, imo - although you can seek to fix the tonal balance and treble via EQ if you so desire, but making it less physically heavy is another task. You really don't need a super amp for it either.

Really you don't need a super amp to make any of these headphones sound good. Entry level Schiit gear gets the job done. Then invest more later if you want to.

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 25
  Haven't heard the HE-300...so I can't comment on that. But the HD650 is a gorgeous sounding headphone. I think it'd be a great work headphone too, if the sound leakage really won't be an issue for you. I say that because it is a very smooth, non-fatiguing listen which means you can listen for hours without it tiring your ears. And it really has a beautiful tone to it. You don't need super amping for it - just pick up a used Schiit Magni or Vali for under $100 and you're golden.

The HE-400 has a wonky tonal balance. It has fatiguing treble. And it is a heavy headphone. Too many negatives for your needs, imo - although you can seek to fix the tonal balance and treble via EQ if you so desire, but making it less physically heavy is another task. You really don't need a super amp for it either.

Really you don't need a super amp to make any of these headphones sound good. Entry level Schiit gear gets the job done. Then invest more later if you want to.

I still love the idea of owning an HD650, it's been kind of a dream of mine for a while, but I've also fallen in love with the way the hifimans look. It seems like I can  get the HE-300 from amazon for $160, but that doesn't include the EF-3 amp. This means the amp would essentially be $90. The only problem I have with it is the lack of a DAC, but I don't know if I'd really need one if I'm just running it from my computer. Essentially what I want to know is if you guys can genuinely justify the price difference between the headphones alone ($160 for HE-300 and $400 for the HD650)

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 25
  I still love the idea of owning an HD650, it's been kind of a dream of mine for a while, but I've also fallen in love with the way the hifimans look. It seems like I can  get the HE-300 from amazon for $160, but that doesn't include the EF-3 amp. This means the amp would essentially be $90. The only problem I have with it is the lack of a DAC, but I don't know if I'd really need one if I'm just running it from my computer. Essentially what I want to know is if you guys can genuinely justify the price difference between the headphones alone ($160 for HE-300 and $400 for the HD650)

Honestly, the only one who can answer that is you. It's a very subjective question, and until you hear both headphones, you can't know for sure. I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's an honest answer.

There are other options - you can pick up a slightly used HD650 for less than $300 if you're patient. Or, you can pick up a new HD600 for $300, or a slightly used HD600 for ~$250 probably. The HD600 and HD650 are very close sonically. Many prefer the HD600 over the HD650 even. It is the more neutral of the two headphones. I do prefer the HD650 though.

Also, if you're running audio straight out of your computer, you probably will want to invest in at least an entry level DAC. Schiit Modi for $100 new, or less used, and you're good. I'd say a DAC is a must for the HD600/HD650, and even with the HE-300 it'll be a marked improvement.

Other things to look into would be AKG Q701 (Amazon Warehouse deals has it for about $170) with a Vali / Modi setup. My friend has this setup, and it's a great setup for the money spent.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 25
  Honestly, the only one who can answer that is you. It's a very subjective question, and until you hear both headphones, you can't know for sure. I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's an honest answer.

There are other options - you can pick up a slightly used HD650 for less than $300 if you're patient. Or, you can pick up a new HD600 for $300, or a slightly used HD600 for ~$250 probably. The HD600 and HD650 are very close sonically. Many prefer the HD600 over the HD650 even. It is the more neutral of the two headphones. I do prefer the HD650 though.

Also, if you're running audio straight out of your computer, you probably will want to invest in at least an entry level DAC. Schiit Modi for $100 new, or less used, and you're good. I'd say a DAC is a must for the HD600/HD650, and even with the HE-300 it'll be a marked improvement.

Other things to look into would be AKG Q701 (Amazon Warehouse deals has it for about $170) with a Vali / Modi setup. My friend has this setup, and it's a great setup for the money spent.

This is getting more expensive by the minute! Would you say the HE-300 with the EF-3 amp would be good enough to run out of my computer without a separate DAC?

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 25
  This is getting more expensive by the minute! Would you say the HE-300 with the EF-3 amp would be good enough to run out of my computer without a separate DAC?

Hey. I feel like you already made a decision in your mind. I would say buy it if you like the HE-300. You can return it if you don't like after all and buy the other one. It's your ears so you know what you want. I just heard so much suggestions every time before I bought my phones but I found most of them useless so now I will go ahead and buy it if the phone is not bad sounding.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 25
  Hey. I feel like you already made a decision in your mind. I would say buy it if you like the HE-300. You can return it if you don't like after all and buy the other one. It's your ears so you know what you want. I just heard so much suggestions every time before I bought my phones but I found most of them useless so now I will go ahead and buy it if the phone is not bad sounding.

Haha, I guess you're right. I've pretty much made up my mind, I just wish there were more people on here who had experience with the HE-300 / EF-3 combo, especially since the EF-3 doesn't have a DAC. At this point the only thing holding me back is said lack of a DAC, and if I should just buy the HE-300 separately, and get a cheap DAC / AMP combo for around the same price I'd be paying for HE-300 / EF-3 ($249). Will not having a dedicated DAC, and only using my computer > amp > headphones be lacking?

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 25
  Haha, I guess you're right. I've pretty much made up my mind, I just wish there were more people on here who had experience with the HE-300 / EF-3 combo, especially since the EF-3 doesn't have a DAC. At this point the only thing holding me back is said lack of a DAC, and if I should just buy the HE-300 separately, and get a cheap DAC / AMP combo for around the same price I'd be paying for HE-300 / EF-3 ($249). Will not having a dedicated DAC, and only using my computer > amp > headphones be lacking?

If the sound card in your PC is not bad you should be fine. Source is the least important thing in the whole setup from my experience. I don't use DAC at all (I have a Marantz CD player though) but I know some PCs especially laptops have obvious background noise so before you decide what to get (EF-3 or DAC) you can plug in a regular headphone and hear if there is noise even when you don't play anything. That's just my suggestion so don't take that too seriously.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 25
  If the sound card in your PC is not bad you should be fine. Source is the least important thing in the whole setup from my experience. I don't use DAC at all (I have a Marantz CD player though) but I know some PCs especially laptops have obvious background noise so before you decide what to get (EF-3 or DAC) you can plug in a regular headphone and hear if there is noise even when you don't play anything. That's just my suggestion so don't take that too seriously.

That's actually a fantastic suggestion, I'm gonna plug some in and see if I hear any distortion. The amp would definitely make it more audible. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 25
Hey dub Beatz,

I have the HE-300 and love' em.  I have plugged them into various amps and they do not disappoint.  Was listening to them today from an iBasso P3 while rolling op-amps with an iPod touch (line-out).  Great sound.

Now, I'm a dac and source guy myself, so I would recommend at least an inexpensive one to get you going to bypass onboard sound.  But that's just me.
biggrin.gif

I would get the HE-300 from Amazon and maybe E07k ($89.00) or maybe the new E10k ($75.99) that just came out (I have the E07k, have not listened to the E10k though).

Just throwing out other options for ya.

I have the velour pads on the HE-300.  Did not like the pleather pads.  Sound is too dark and congested with 'em.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back