HD650 vs DT880
Mar 10, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
... how can I renounce the HD 650 for one full hour?...

I take it that the Stax and Grados will soon be on the selling block?

Mar 10, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I take it that the Stax and Grados will soon be on the selling block?

Not a bad idea to sell the Grados -- since I don't use them anymore since ages --, but the «Staxes» are partly my own work and will never be sold, especially since I have found kind of new love for them. They also show me that the HD 650 is not perfect, but without this reference it nevertheless virtually is, because it's hard to find any faults in it. Not that it makes me feel: «Wow, that sounds like reality!», but there's nothing there disturbing the musical flow, and all essential information is there. (This is with Zu Mobius, but also applies to the just arrived Oehlbach.)

peacesign.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #19 of 26
the senns really require an amp to shine ... other than that i cant completely agree with you if your just driving them through your soundcard.

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
hottyson: Mind you that the Aureon 5.1 Sky & 7.1 Space (as well as the newer 7.1 Universe (= 7.1 Space plus DMX 6fire style front bay, but now with real phono section in hardware) & 7.1 FireWire) are a bit different than quite a few other modern soundcards - all carry a real headphone amp section (one TL072 opamp driving a B772/D882 transistor pair per channel) providing ~ 2x 60 mW. A PortaCorda(II) already does noticably better, but for a more or less free feature, Terratec's headphone amp sections do the job fairly well...

So how would you describe the major differences between the PortaCorda and the Terratec amp? How does it sound better? It's always hard to imagine something can sound better until you first hear it
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I wouldn't call its treble grainy at all, it's similarly smooth as the HD 650's, but certainly the HD 650's treble is even smoother and more refined, although less in the fore. I think the DT 880's bass goes even deeper and is flatter than the Senn's, whereas it's even cleaner and more transparent with the latter.

As opposed to your findings, I guess I forgot to mention but I sometimes have the feeling the treble of my HD650's is somewhat disturbingly recessed, not very transparent and clear. It might be just some recordings as for some it's ok. But this may be one point of criticism at my current setup.

Quote:

[...]They also show me that the HD 650 is not perfect, but without this reference it nevertheless virtually is, because it's hard to find any faults in it. Not that it makes me feel: «Wow, that sounds like reality!», but there's nothing there disturbing the musical flow, and all essential information is there. (This is with Zu Mobius, but also applies to the just arrived Oehlbach.)

I've been thinking about getting an Oehlbach Cable but I'm still not sure if it's worth the improvement over the stock cable. As you seem to have both cables, how big is the difference between them actually? I've read several threads comparing cables, but I've not come to a satisfying conclusion. There was a thread once which compared a whole bunch of aftermarket cables. I cannot find it anymore though
frown.gif

But you being a very competent head-fi member might be able to tell me more precisely if it'd be worth to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got one more question though. I'm currently using a Y-cable to use both of my headphones at the same time and be able to compare them. I did however not notice any improvement when plugging the headphones directly into my soundcard out. It seems the Y-cable doesn't degrade the sound much. Will the difference be more noticable once I'm using a better aftermarket cable?
Then I'm also thinking if the adapter for the small headphone jack (3,5mm?) will degrade the Senn sound as well. The Stock cable has the big connector (6,3mm?) which fits into the headphone-out's of standard hifi-equipment, so I'm forced to use the adapter to be able to use them with my soundcard. How about the Oehlbach Cable? Will it be shipped with an adapter or will I be forced to use the standard Senn adapter as well? Will this adapter be neutralizing the benefitial effect the Oehlbach cable provides as it might be of a lesser quality?

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by big-ban
As opposed to your findings, I guess I forgot to mention but I sometimes have the feeling the treble of my HD650's is somewhat disturbingly recessed, not very transparent and clear. It might be just some recordings as for some it's ok. But this may be one point of criticism at my current setup.

This may be the case -- a soundcard as source is always a bit suspect.
wink.gif
On the other hand it could be that your sonic perception expects a bit more treble energy from a headphone to make it sound natural. And thirdly, the upper end of the HD 650 is indeed very slightly recessed (but at the same time very extended!), otherwise the whole balance is extremely even to my ears and almost without equal.
Quote:

I've been thinking about getting an Oehlbach Cable but I'm still not sure if it's worth the improvement over the stock cable. As you seem to have both cables, how big is the difference between them actually?

It's absolutely worth its price -- which is ridiculous compared to the main contenders (ZuCable, Moon Audio, Equinox) anyway. Compared to the stock cable there's more brilliance and treble and an expanded soundstage (even surpassing the Zu Mobius'), and throughout the frequency range the presentation is smoother and more transparent. Despite the clearer treble, the high end is slightly rounded -- in a very ear-friendly way, but also not entirely in favor of an organic, accurate reproduction of instrument timbres/overtones, but slightly in the form of a «hi-fi sound». All in all a very musical, flowing presentation and a clear improvement over the stock cable, with a big thumbs up for the spectacular soundstage.
eek.gif

The Zu Mobius is still another caliber. It offers more overtone information than the other two cables, the upper treble is more focussed and a bit louder too. It offers the same smoothness as the Oehlbach, but not in a rounding way, and thus provides greater accuracy and naturalness. Its price seems a bit high compared to the Oehlbach, which offers ~45% of the Zu's sound-quality increase, but there's the reality of the diminishing returns. It is to say that the Oehlbach has a more forgiving character than the Zu, and that's the reason I'll use it with my Archos Jukebox, although the Zu (with Senn 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cable) is still a bit better there as well.
Quote:

I'm currently using a Y-cable to use both of my headphones at the same time and be able to compare them. I did however not notice any improvement when plugging the headphones directly into my soundcard out. It seems the Y-cable doesn't degrade the sound much. Will the difference be more noticable once I'm using a better aftermarket cable?
Then I'm also thinking if the adapter for the small headphone jack (3,5mm?) will degrade the Senn sound as well. The Stock cable has the big connector (6,3mm?) which fits into the headphone-out's of standard hifi-equipment, so I'm forced to use the adapter to be able to use them with my soundcard. How about the Oehlbach Cable? Will it be shipped with an adapter or will I be forced to use the standard Senn adapter as well? Will this adapter be neutralizing the benefitial effect the Oehlbach cable provides as it might be of a lesser quality?

I had to use the adapter with the Archos (which is a fairly revealing source for this purpose, believe me!), and the sound was nevertheless great and clearly better than with the stock cable. Meanwhile I have soldered a 1/8" plug onto the Oehlbach (always an option, also in your case!) -- without any obvious difference, despite the already reduced length. While I'm typing this, I'm listening to the Oehlbach/Archos combo, and it's really fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you think the HD 650's treble is too recessed, try the Oehlbach; if you still think it is, order the Zu Mobius! If this doesn't help, consider a really good source!
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, it's a bit dangerous to have the DT 880 (with its pronounced treble) as a benchmark when it comes to the sonic balance. If possible listen to the HD 650 over a longer period without switching back!

peacesign.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #23 of 26
I have been looking at getting a dt 880 , at the moment im using sennheiser hd 500 , i know on the web hd 500 takes a bagging but ive had them for three years and been quite happy , my problem lies in the build quality as well , i like the dt 880 single cord and metal construction , are the dt 880 a significant improvement on hd 500 ? hd 500 has a lot of bass.

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 26
I had the DT880 but I sold them out of curiousity for the HD650.
I'm still in the "burn-in" period. But from Audigy2 I think that they sound a bit similar. But HD650 is more direct and powerful. I did notice that the soundsatge is a bit smaller on the HD650, but the bass and midrange is an improvement. Both are very comfortable. DT880's build quality is excellent.
I like femal vocals more and more, and i don't really hear any difference there.

I'm very curios how they sound to eachother with for an example. E-MU0404 and a mid-end amp like the Rega Ear or X-CANV2.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #25 of 26
Hi Big-Ban do you have also dt880 600 ohm one?
Can you also give coparation btw dt880 600ohm and hd650?
I read many of review, that alot of improf btw dt880 03 to dt880 600 ohm.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #26 of 26
Holy thread-resurrection batman.

Take a look at the time of the last post man. Over 6 years ago!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back