HD650 vs DT880/600ohm?
Nov 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #16 of 21
I wonder how the HD600 compares to the 880. Lots of people prefer the HD600 over the HD650.

Haven't personally heard the HD650, but I heard about their warm signature and was immediately turned off. I'll never again touch a warm headphone, even if it's a flagship. The CALs will be my last can that leans on the warm side. Love them, but they can't touch my preference for brighter headphones.

880s are fantastic. Part of me wishes I still owned them.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
I prefer DT880/600 due to its more colourless/sterile, more refined (IMO) mids and transparent highs over the 'relatively' muddy mids and more congested and less transparent sound of HD650s. But one should note that mainly the genres you listen to shape your taste, what kind of a sound signature you are able to appreciate. I personally listen to classical music and jazz, and hate pop music which I believe HD650 fits perfectly with its fuller mid-range and more bass presence.

Muddy mids! . . I think not. . . by no stretch of imagination could they have muddy mids. . . 

I feel like the HD 650s are worth every penny and I keep reading that they have better mids than the DT 880/990. Also, they are not dark, not anymore anyway. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 21
The 650 Senn does to much lower mids and base, so do many other headphones. This is what causes pretty laid back mids and highs, won't call it muddy, it is more relegated.

The 650 is a bit extreme in this case. Whatever, equalized it's a good headphone if it feel comfortable on your marble.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
The 650 Senn does to much lower mids and base, so do many other headphones. This is what causes pretty laid back mids and highs, won't call it muddy, it is more relegated.

The 650 is a bit extreme in this case. Whatever, equalized it's a good headphone if it feel comfortable on your marble.

The HD 650 is hardly extreme when it comes to frequency response. . . just look at the DT 880/990. . . 

My HD 650s have louder everything than lower mids. The mid bass hump is very reasonable, although I usually turn the bass down a bit. 

I don't know how they compare to other headphones in this price range, but to me the clarity/detail of the mids is amazing. . . 

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #20 of 21

The HD 650 is hardly extreme when it comes to frequency response. . . just look at the DT 880/990. . . 

My HD 650s have louder everything than lower mids. The mid bass hump is very reasonable, although I usually turn the bass down a bit. 

I don't know how they compare to other headphones in this price range, but to me the clarity/detail of the mids is amazing. . . 

Hi Satellite-6 what amp you use for hd 650? Otl, push pull, or ss one.
I need know what the best pairing for hd 650 as your experiance?

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Hi Satellite-6 what amp you use for hd 650? Otl, push pull, or ss one.I need know what the best pairing for hd 650 as your experiance?

I don't have much experience, the DAC/AMP in my sig is my first one. All I can say is repeat what I usually say: I really like my HiFiMAN EF2A w/ RCA 5654 tubes, it's fairly "musical" sounding which contrasts the HD 650s analytical sound quite nicely. There are plenty of threads about this, even recent ones, so a search would behoove you. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back