HD650, two versions, older is what year?
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
So been reading there are two versions of the HD650 and the older having the warmer, better bass than the newer, which seems harder to distinguish from the HD600.

What year is the older one from?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 15
The easy way to tell is the new version has white drivers which you can see through the grills on the outside.

I don't know a date, sorry.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 15
The only change I know of in the HD 650 is that the earlier versions had acoustic silk damping and later ones changed this to a mesh filter as it was easier to keep consistency with the metal version.

But I don't remember the date it changed, I'm afraid. It was quite a while ago.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The easy way to tell is the new version has white drivers which you can see through the grills on the outside.

So this is the early version then?

41PJK4KHTZL._SS400_.jpg

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the difference between the new and old HD650 in sound quality?

Nothing. It's just a bunch of ill-informed people drawing conclusions on topics they don't understand.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing. It's just a bunch of ill-informed people drawing conclusions on topics they don't understand.

Don't say that. There are a lot of people that think the 'new' HD650 is brighter.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't say that. There are a lot of people that think the 'new' HD650 is brighter.

I'm aware of that. It's also possible that many of them are hearing correctly. But that doesn't mean the difference in sound has anything to do with the "new" mesh.

Many people seem to think all they need to do to settle the matter is to hear a "new" and "old" HD650 side-by-side (although the vast majority of people don't bother to do this much even, instead relying on memory or the opinions of others). This is not a valid comparison, as the potential difference the change in mesh may make is very subtle, and likely smaller than the difference between pairs that results from imperfect manufacture.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Sure but people do seem to agree that there is a difference. It is not just one person.

Not trying to be some kindergarten cop but your statement implies there is no difference and furthermore, you say those people are ill-informed and that they don't understand certain topics. Well I will leave it here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 15
New stiffer pads could, in theory, make the sound a tad brighter than old softer pads that place your ear closer to the drivers. (No, I have not compared the HD650 versions, so I don't know if age make the pads softer, it's just one other thing that could cause a difference.)

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New stiffer pads could, in theory, make the sound a tad brighter than old softer pads that place your ear closer to the drivers. (No, I have not compared the HD650 versions, so I don't know if age make the pads softer, it's just one other thing that could cause a difference.)

Right to the point
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5133013-post53.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared new (white mesh) vs my old (black mesh), both were well burned-in.

Bad news: the sound is really different. Black is bassier, warmer and has "veil". White is lighter on bass, seems faster and has sibilance.

Not so bad news: It is hard to say which is better. Black is better with female vocals (Eva Cassidy), white is better with metal (Nightwish). I like different genres, so both cans suits me well.

Good news finally: Old pair has pads well-worn, so drivers are closer to ears. So I pressed new pair cups towards my ears... And the difference is gone!

I hope this helps if you are worried like I was: "Is my HD650 best of all these different HD650s?".

Besides that there are always some production run variations as some people were reporting that darker and brighter units exist across older version with black mesh as well.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right to the point
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5133013-post53.html

Besides that there are always some production run variations as some people were reporting that darker and brighter units exist across older version with black mesh as well.

That is perhaps the most informative post I have read on this thread. Thank you sir; So basically the difference is minimal and as the poster says pushing the can closer to ones ears does change the sound; I've tried this with all my cans; even the SR 225 sound different.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 15
Last week I auditioned (and eventually bought) a Graham Slee Solo SRG headamp. My colleague accompanied me on the audition. He brought his old (black fabric) HD650s (+3 years old) and I took my new (Silver fabric) HD650s.

We auditioned the same track with the same amp and cd player on both sets of headphones and there was an obvious and apparent difference with the older pair being slightly darker with a more obvious bass extension. Both of us could clearly hear the differences. We also both prefered the newer HD650's (he also has the HD600's and he thinks that the new 650's are better).

Ade

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apmusson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last week I auditioned (and eventually bought) a Graham Slee Solo SRG headamp. My colleague accompanied me on the audition. He brought his old (black fabric) HD650s (+3 years old) and I took my new (Silver fabric) HD650s.

We auditioned the same track with the same amp and cd player on both sets of headphones and there was an obvious and apparent difference with the older pair being slightly darker with a more obvious bass extension. Both of us could clearly hear the differences. We also both prefered the newer HD650's (he also has the HD600's and he thinks that the new 650's are better).

Ade

Precisely... the "new" HD650s are much more balanced... and... sound much better than the "old" version.

The "new" versions started to appear about the end of 2006. But, the best way to tell the difference is the color of the material covering the driver baffles - silvery white metalic material covers the baffles of the "new" versions.

And... from my experience... in the last year, Sennheiser actually began to use the same drivers for the HD600s and HD650s in the "new" versions, whether by mistake, or design - which results in their identical sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back