HD650 to LCD-2 - Was it worth it?
May 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:
Yes, 2% duty and 20% VAT on headphones. Duty varies by product type, though.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/ is a useful site.

thanks for that, there is nothing to save if you get billed then.

cheapest i can find in uk is £875, though i have emailed a couple of places mentioned in this thread, hopefully they will get back to me this week.

May 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 67
You cant go wrong with the LCD 2 rev 2 and a Bifrost+Lyr. Tube rolling is a whole hobby in itself and for a great value. 

The HD650 is a dynamic headphone while the LCD 2 is an orthodynamic headphone. Here is a link between the different types of headphones. http://headfonics.com/2011/05/dynamic-vs-orthodynamic-vs-electrostatic-which-is-which/

The HD650 sounds similar to the LCD2 but more hollow. The LCD 2's pole switching diaphragm has a fantastic resonance and depth to it that really produces that vinyl sound I was looking for. The HD650 has the benefit of being more comfortable to wear and have a better soundstage. The weight difference is staggering but some may argue that the wood just looks sweet! 
size]

If your looking for a great value both are for their price points. 

May 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #50 of 67
found lcd2 for £775 delivered from UK supplier.
trigger finger is beginning to twitch.

unless anyone knows where i can buy cheaper?

May 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #51 of 67
I don't know whether this is where I should jump in since I just joined but have been contemplating for the longest time regarding "was is worth it".

I have the HE-500 for awhile now and most of the threads with either comparing or impressions of LCD 2.2 vs HE-500 goes, I am still confused.  This particular thread of whether it was worth going from 650 to LCD 2.2 is what I like to ask the general consensus of going from 500 to the LCD.

I am in the same agreement that the 500 excels in the midrange both intimate and lush while it's bass or rather the lower regions is tight and full but perhaps missing some quantity of sub-bass.  The treble is quite fast and effortless but not as airy.

Now I like to ask fellow members out there will it be worth that extra $300 usd to go from HE-500 to LCD 2.2's?  With all the review and comparisons between the two models, I get the sense that this is more of a lateral move in terms sound signature and will not experience a WOW factor in the lower region while giving up the upper range.  Is this a good statement?

May 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

That's cheaper than anywhere I've seen; would you mind sharing where you found them?

PM me if you'd rather not post it.

you got pm 
wink_face.gif

May 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #54 of 67
i am trying to find a uk stockist of both he-500 and lcd2, that can offer home trials with demo (burnt in) models.
anyone know of such a dealer?
have asked "hifilounge" and am awaiting a response.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #55 of 67
I felt it was more of a sidegrade.  Higher resolution no doubt, but it too has its shortcomings.  Sometimes it sounded like a closed headphone, sometimes the sub-bass was distracting.  HE-6 is a better headphone imo.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #56 of 67
I am a newbee here, HD600 and Hifiman HE400i are my current HP's. Upgrading to LCD 2 fazor will be a good choice. I have also SE846 and I love it. Fellow headfiers I'm seeking your advices. The LDC 2 will be far far away on my current HP's. Thanks

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #58 of 67
Agreed, but it seems to be a headphone that Sennheiser 600-series owners gravitate to. You gain bass, clarity and seperation especially that leaves the Sennheiser behind. It's twice the price but twice the headphone? You leave behind the Sennheiser's comfort which to me is the only real drawback. The Sennheiser's mid-range is still fantastically sweet but the Audeze does everything better

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #59 of 67
I have had an Audeze LCD-2 for a couple years.  Had to return it once to replace one of the speakers.  The stock cable gave out after a year and for $99 got a silver plated cord from a dude in China.  I had AKG K701 previously and used them for connecting directly to music gear and as backup.  I ended up giving the AKGs away to a fellow musician.  There is a recent price drop on the Sennheiser HD650.  I have several Sennheiser mics for recording guitar and bass amps so am comfortable with their knowledge and skills.  Just got an HD650 and after 24 hours of continuous break in time I am very impressed.  Not only are they significantly more comfortable than the LCD-2 in terms of being lighter and more snug, but the sound seems very, very close when I A/B them.  In fact the HD650 speakers make it feel the sound is closer than the LCD-2.  I will keep breaking them in and will provide a more detailed comparison soon.  But generally speaking the HD650 at $339 at Amazon right now is an incredible bargain vs the LCD-2 at $995.  I would get 2 more HD650 before getting another LCD-2 with total expenditure being pretty much equal.    

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #60 of 67
  I have had an Audeze LCD-2 for a couple years.  Had to return it once to replace one of the speakers.  The stock cable gave out after a year and for $99 got a silver plated cord from a dude in China.  I had AKG K701 previously and used them for connecting directly to music gear and as backup.  I ended up giving the AKGs away to a fellow musician.  There is a recent price drop on the Sennheiser HD650.  I have several Sennheiser mics for recording guitar and bass amps so am comfortable with their knowledge and skills.  Just got an HD650 and after 24 hours of continuous break in time I am very impressed.  Not only are they significantly more comfortable than the LCD-2 in terms of being lighter and more snug, but the sound seems very, very close when I A/B them.  In fact the HD650 speakers make it feel the sound is closer than the LCD-2.  I will keep breaking them in and will provide a more detailed comparison soon.  But generally speaking the HD650 at $339 at Amazon right now is an incredible bargain vs the LCD-2 at $995.  I would get 2 more HD650 before getting another LCD-2 with total expenditure being pretty much equal.    

LCD2s regularly go for $700 new right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back