HD650 or Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE
Jan 3, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #46 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard a demo pair of HFI-2200ULE at a local audio shop some time ago, as well as a few other models (iCans, HFI-15, DJ1, HFI-650). I wasn't impressed by any of them, though I did buy the Ultrasone Demo CD, which comes free with an Ultrasone headphone.

I agree with the "muddy" description. Compared to other headphones such as the HD650, K701 and DT880-'03, the HFI-2200ULE was not as clear. It was as if a curtain or piece of cloth was between the drivers and ears. It seemed muddy as in not having well-defined attack and decay of notes. Each individual note was blurry and not distinctive.

I didn't listen very long, due to what I considered as unsatisfactory sound. I was surprised by the apparent muddiness of the sound and wondered why it was so. Apparently, people using Ultrasone headphones don't agree with me and like them very much. Maybe this is an effect of the S-Logic and a listener needs more time to get used to it.

I think a large part of this "curtained" sound impression comes accurately, as the sound difference between a driver directed straight into the ear canal (like most headphones would do), and the offset driver aiming at the earlobes instead of at the eardrums that the Ultrasones' employ. So, it definitely is a different sound than one might be used to.

Curiously, the Sony "Altus" MDR-D777LP headphones made for portables employs a "circle" that covers over the center of the diaphragm of the driver, so the sound comes from "slits" surrounding this circle, aimed towards the front and rear of the earlobes, so no sound emits from the drivers to be directed straight down the ear canal, similar to the Ultrasones system. I found its sound to be just as difficult to get used to as people have with the Ultrasones, and still have issues once in a while, but the Sonys (or I) seem to be "breaking in"! My initial impression was similar to many people's initial impression of the Ultrasone lines. With time, I have been enjoying that headphone's sound (the Altus) as an alternative to the E4c's when listening to my iPod Nano. Maybe Sony is experimenting with the Ultrasone "S-Logic" concepts? Just an observation - belongs in a different thread most likely!

Terry

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #47 of 49
Jan 10, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #48 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Review is here:

http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2007-01.pdf

Sorry if someone already posted. Didn't have time to read the whole thread.

Whoops, pageman... affordableaudio doesn't allow direct linking to files - only links to the pages containing the file links.

Anyway, http://www.affordableaudio.org - right-click select the January 2007 link at the top and save target as to your desktop, open it in Adobe Reader, and scroll to the article if it doesn't load automatically into your browser just clicking on it.

Terry

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #49 of 49
HD650 all the way!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back