HD650 or RS-1
Jun 5, 2005 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

K.Ashwood

100+ Head-Fier
Although I will end up getting both I am torn which I want to get first the HD650’s or The RS-1

decisions decisions decisions

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 21
You will definitely need an amp if you go with the HD650s if you dont already have one. They run at 250ohm where as the RS1s are 32ohm I believe. The RS1s can be powered fairly easily from most any source but however would improve greatly with an amp also.

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 21
I personally would get both at the same time and then start doing the electric boogaloo as you dance to sennheiser and grado heaven.

seriously, i think either way you are going to need an amp for both - the grados in general are inefficient in a sense they require mucho current, the rs-1 sounds utterly unrefined with a bloated colored bass without amp, with amp the picture comes into focus and you get a much better sense of what it has to offer.

I listen to 40% rock, 20% jazz, 20% classical, and 10 % hip hop. I listen to the rs-1's exclusively for rock and jazz, and the senns get classical and hiphop duty, so i definitely do the rs-1's more. however, the senns are much more forgiving of bad recordings and there are certain albums which i cant listen to with the rs-1's but i can enjoy with the senns. The albums that do shine with rs-1's feature woodwinds, guitars, and rhythm based music, cymbals and drum hits sound amazing on the rs-1's but dull on the senns.

Those are some of my impressions, i can help you out more if you provide more info

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 21
Although you won't need an amp for the RS1's. At this price level I wouldn't bother getting either unless you plan on using one. I personally like both cans a lot. If you want a good compromise between the upfront grados and the laid back senns I suggest you look into getting a HD-650 with a zu mobius cable.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 21
They're both awesome cans. I'd get the Grado's first, spoil yourself, and then get the HD650's and spoil yourself again, and just rotate between the two. The fun'll never end.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by K.Ashwood
Although I will end up getting both I am torn which I want to get first the HD650’s or The RS-1

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

Keith Keith Keith, sheesh, you and your "head of a buissness" "problems,"
rolleyes.gif
man, hope I can scrounge up some potatoes to eat tonight, ah, if not i'll just knaw on some of that bark over there...
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

How about the Koss ESP-950. Very different from both dynamic and electrostatics. With a Blue Hawaii amp it may be short of the Omega IIs but not by that much.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 21
Hi Keith. Welcome to HF btw, its nice to have American Techpushers here as a new sponsor.

since you are going to get both anyway, my gut says to go for the Senns first. But, as mentioned, you really need to get an aftermarket cable for them. I personally prefer the Equinox (over the Mobius), but that's just me.

I can listen to the Senns for hours and hours and hours, ranging the gamut from rock to hiphop to trance/electronic music/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to jazz. As mentioned, the phones each shine in their own areas, but I personally find the Senns the easier of the two to just relax to. The grados add punch and a sense of fun in different places, though some find them fatiguing.

I find both to be amp dependent, but hopefully you will be able to enjoy them both, regardless.

good luck

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 21
I have not heard the RS-1 (I have MS-2i and 650) I would get the senns first. The senns will sound dark in comparison to the grados. The senns are very good but you might not appreciate them after getting accustom to grados. But it could be said the other way around too. What ever you decide just give your self plenty of time to readjust to the second headphones sound before you pass judgement.

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 21
Even thought I the 650’s can be had super quickly I am leaning towards the RS-1. Reason being that I listen to mostly Rock Music.

Of course what amp I want is up in the air at the moment.

And thank it’s a honor to be aboard.

Keith

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I personally would get both at the same time and then start doing the electric boogaloo as you dance to sennheiser and grado heaven.

seriously, i think either way you are going to need an amp for both - the grados in general are inefficient in a sense they require mucho current, the rs-1 sounds utterly unrefined with a bloated colored bass without amp, with amp the picture comes into focus and you get a much better sense of what it has to offer.

I listen to 40% rock, 20% jazz, 20% classical, and 10 % hip hop. I listen to the rs-1's exclusively for rock and jazz, and the senns get classical and hiphop duty, so i definitely do the rs-1's more. however, the senns are much more forgiving of bad recordings and there are certain albums which i cant listen to with the rs-1's but i can enjoy with the senns. The albums that do shine with rs-1's feature woodwinds, guitars, and rhythm based music, cymbals and drum hits sound amazing on the rs-1's but dull on the senns.

Those are some of my impressions, i can help you out more if you provide more info

the senn's are in-efficent by the same note because they require higher signal voltages to operate. they are also inefficent because most far fiewer sources will drive them even half decently without an amp. the grados can at least be listened to without an amp.

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Even thought I the 650’s can be had super quickly I am leaning towards the RS-1. Reason being that I listen to mostly Rock Music.

Of course what amp I want is up in the air at the moment.

And thank it’s a honor to be aboard.

Keith

If you're listening mainly to rock music then I say get the RS-1's. I personally prefer the RS-1's for all types of music but they do especially well on rock, electric guitars just sound amazing.

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 21
I think the real question you want to ask yourself when wondering which of these 2 phones you want is:

Do I want to do critical listening/easy listening, cans with which you will hear every single little detail clearly , which are dark sounding, with which you could fall asleep with the cans on your head (HD650s)

or

Do I want a more engaging sound, with a touch of woody magic smoothness, an amazingly detailled midrange and bloomy, bloomy bass, that some may find not very comfortable but with which you will hardly be able to fall asleep, more like jump up and down on your chair (RS-1s)

The decision is entirely up to you
wink.gif

Edit: One more thing since I read guitars sound amazing on the RS-1s. They indeed sound very good, but I think the strongpoint of the RS-1s is the midrange especially. IMHO the 325i metallic touch gives guitar a vibrant, crying sound which is close, but not as good with the RS-1s. If you're gonna buy headphones for rock/metal and especially guitars, the 325i will imho be he better choice. However, the RS-1s midrange is better, though not by much (it had the silver 325 beat but the 325i come close, very close). RS-1s however are smoother sounding, the highs aren't as "high" as the 325i, and bass is fuller and bloomier to the least. I think the 400+USD difference is not worth it personally, as the 325i and RS-1s are different, but I honestly couldn't tell you the RS-1s are actually better. Each have their strongpoints, depending on which kind of sound youre looking for, each can give you satisfaction in their own way. Personally I sold off the RS-1s, but not many did
wink.gif

Hope that helps a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back