HD650 or New source
Mar 17, 2006 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

smooth_boarder

Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my system. I have decided that I would either upgrade from SR60 to HD650 or upgrade my source from Pioneer DV-588A to a better redbook player like NAD or cambridge.

Which would be a more worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 12
SR60 to HD650 will give you the biggest sonic change (/improvement), but you may or may not like the Sennheiser sound. Upgrading to a better CD player is probably a guarantee you'll like the sound better, but the sonic changes will be smaller.

So I guess the question is -- are you a risk taker, or prefer the safer route to better sound?
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 12
If you like the brighter sound signature of your SR60, I'd seriously consider the DT 880 as well. Better headphones would of course benefit you more than a source upgrade.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for all your inputs. I do like the 650 sound. I've previously owned the 650, but I was in a financial jam thanks to headfi... so I had to part ways with the senns.

I've never had a good source other than a panasonic PCDP w/ line-out and now the pioneer, so I am unsure how big of an improvement it would be...

I do have an amp that could drive the 650. It's a tough call, so I guess I will have to look into it further.

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Open the player, change the opamp and output caps with better ones for total of $15 or so, and save the money for HD650. IMHO, changing redbook source has a low price/profit ratio

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 12
Xakepa,

Do you know who can help me with the modification... or how I can learn to do so myself? Thanks.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 12
I'd say get the HD650. Better headphones will really help you hear the things you'll want to someday change about your system. Without a good end listening device (speakers or headphones) I feel like it's sort of shooting in the dark when upgrading a source or amp.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Garbage in...Garbage out...

Spend as much as you can afford on your source first. Then upgrade your cans later in the year when you replenish your "head-fi account."

Good headphones will only point out the flaws in the rest of your system. They will never, or at least shouldn't, mask deficiencies in your source or amp. If your system sucks, getting better phones will only accentuate it.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by smooth_boarder
Xakepa,

Do you know who can help me with the modification... or how I can learn to do so myself? Thanks.

You need the schematics of the player, which could be googled, and a soldering iron. Generally, one could replace the opamp (8-legs chip, the last triangular sign on the signal path in the schematics) and 2 decoupling caps (the last capacitors on the signal path). Usually those caps are electolytics or polyester and degrade SQ a big time. Replace them with the same value "polypropylene film" capacitors (they'll be larger, but you'll fit 'em in the box), and for the opamp read the marking on the top and post Q in DYI forum which replacement will be best.

If you don't want to mess up with this, you could aks in DYI forum I guess...opamp and caps upgrade should range from $20 to $50-60 tops, shipping excluded. And you'll get a substantial improvement in SQ.

580smile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 12
smooth_boarder,
I went from my 60's to 580's. It was a vast improvement if you have the amp to push them.
I'm not familiar with your source, but unless it's really poor, you'll see the biggest improvement with the phones.
I recently asked this question of a respected member that's an engineer with one of head-fi's sponsors. I have the phones on the way.
Good luck.......Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back