HD650 + Mod Mic 4.0 = TRRS Custom Cable Mod
Dec 29, 2015 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DoctorLeisure75

New Head-Fier
My life is a mess of wires.

As it stands, both the 650s and the mic have 10' cables, which are over twice as long as what I need. Every single time I use them, I have 10' of extra cable to deal with, in two sections, each accounted for at both ends. That already sucks. Add in the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter for the 650s and the TRS to TRRS y-adapter, and it gets worse.

So much sweeter would be a 3.5mm connector starting 3' of TRRS cable, splitting into one TRS line to the left headphone, 6-8" of TRRS on the right then splitting into TRS lines to the mic and right headphone. The mic would be married to this cable, but that's just fine with me. I've also toyed with the idea of making the higher y-split a 3.5mm jack on one fork for the mic, rendering the mic modular.

It doesn't seem too terribly complicated, but this will be my very first mod of this sort and I don't know what I don't know. So while I have some more experienced hands here -any points of note? Any particular hardware suggestions or caveats? Anything I should bear in mind that might not occur to a total noob?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back