HD650 + Micro Stack: There's More?!?
Aug 29, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, have you noticed an improvement?
tongue.gif

Oh my yes. You need to put in some time with an amp to notice many of the more subtle differences, but the DA10 and GS1 are so very precise and transparent that everything else sounds almost muddy.

GAD

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 35
Hm...my most favorable experience with HD650 is HeadAmp products...that is when it actually stops sounding laid back. That being said - I heard Opeth sound far more majestically on a few other cans =]

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

How would they sound on a Headroom Desktop Balanced?
tongue.gif

Well, yeah. That amp is what, 5x the cost of the micro?

If you feel like spending it all now, just get the Apache.

GAD

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, yeah. That amp is what, 5x the cost of the micro?

If you feel like spending it all now, just get the Apache.

GAD

About 3x, fully upgraded. It's a little less expensive than what you have.
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #23 of 35
I'm a little confused about this, actually. What is the major advantage of balanced? In what way would it be better to get a balanced system vs. an unbalanced system with a better DAC, etc., at the same price point?

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

About 3x, fully upgraded. It's a little less expensive than what you have.
tongue.gif

My bad - I was thinking of the Home balanced.

What are your goals and requirements? Spending twice as much will usually get you better sound, though not necessarily 2x the quality. You should try and listen to gear before you buy if at all possible. Let your ears decide.

I was in a position where I could afford to order a lot of stuff used, then keep the winners.

I had a Micro amp/DAC for months and was completely happy with it. You'll only want more if you hear more or let this place get to you. With few exceptions, there will always be better gear. Even if you buy the best gear now, someone will just make something better in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #25 of 35
I would just stop thinking about how another gear would sound. How much improvement would be over your current gear. You have a hell of a gear in hands. Be proud of it and show it to your family, friends, etc. They should be in shock.
The upgrade necessity will definitely be with you anytime soon, but enjoy what you have for now.
If you can't enjoy what you have in hands for more than 2-3 months ... choose one of the following options:

-Get out of head-fi. Delete your account and live with what you have and try to forget that there are better audio equipment than your current setup;
-You'll be poor soon. Selling some stuff for buying audio gear and leaving things, for example girlfriends/boyfriends, in second plan. Which is not what you want, i'm sure.

Let the Micro Stack + HD650 play and enjoy it as much as you can ...
600smile.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bad - I was thinking of the Home balanced.

What are your goals and requirements? Spending twice as much will usually get you better sound, though not necessarily 2x the quality. You should try and listen to gear before you buy if at all possible. Let your ears decide.

I was in a position where I could afford to order a lot of stuff used, then keep the winners.

I had a Micro amp/DAC for months and was completely happy with it. You'll only want more if you hear more or let this place get to you. With few exceptions, there will always be better gear. Even if you buy the best gear now, someone will just make something better in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Well, people keep describing the Sennheisers as "laid-back" and that they scale with better equipment, so it makes me curious. I'd just like to get something that I won't worry about upgrading for 10+ years.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 35
Turning off the crossfeed helps a lot in certain situations. I like the effect, but it seems to add way too much bass occasionally. Maybe I should just get the Headroom Desktop with a brightness filter.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Shouldn't that hypothetically make it worse, since the USB is only 16-bit and not bit-matched?
tongue.gif

Not from what I have read and heard with my own ears. Amongst USB, coax and optical USB is at the top of the SQ list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back