HD650 + Micro Stack: There's More?!?
Aug 29, 2007 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

riverlethe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Posts
484
Likes
44
I just purchased this combo as my introduction to audophilia and plugged it into my X-Fi via supposedly bit-matched SPDIF. I'm using the amp on high gain with the X-fi turned down to 30. Metallica ("Master of Puppets"), Opeth and Atheist don't sound particularly laid-back. Nick Cave is more psychotic than ever on "Junkyard." Firing a gun in STALKER makes me flinch.

Would it be worth trying to improve on this setup? I have a feeling that anything beyond this is just nit-picking, but then, I have nothing for comparison.
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 35

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
2,055
Likes
14
The laid-backness described is caused be the sennheiser sound signature. You may get some improvement changing the amp, but the laid back sound will be there with the senns.

Have you tried some other high end headphone brands already ... ?
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 35

fkclo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Posts
2,275
Likes
11
My suggestion:-

Take one step at a time, as this is a long journey... :)

The HD650 scales very well so take the microstack as a starting point.

And make sure you hide your wallet - it can have legs
etysmile.gif


F. Lo
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 35

riverlethe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Posts
484
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The laid-backness described is caused be the sennheiser sound signature. You may get some improvement changing the amp, but the laid back sound will be there with the senns.

Have you tried some other high end headphone brands already ... ?



I'm not really understanding the "laid-back" complaint. Maybe it adds a little more musicality to the harsher music. But, as I said, I have not tried others for comparison.
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 35

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
2,055
Likes
14
I was just saying the the laid back feeling that you described is due to the sennheiser sound signature. Most people agree that the oposite to the senn's laid back would be the Grado up front presentation.
You could consider trying a Grado in the future if you want a more, as usually described at head-fi, "in your face" sound.

But for now, i'd follow fkclo advise and stick with your setup, because just a few people start with a such qualified gear as you ...
biggrin.gif
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 35

riverlethe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Posts
484
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just saying the the laid back feeling that you described is due to the sennheiser sound signature. Most people agree that the oposite to the senn's laid back would be the Grado up front presentation.
You could consider trying a Grado in the future if you want a more, as usually described at head-fi, "in your face" sound.

But for now, i'd follow fkclo advise and stick with your setup, because just a few people start with a such qualified gear as you ...
biggrin.gif



Ah, I said "...don't sound particularly laid-back." Wouldn't "laid-back" be a function of the music? I'm trying to figure out what this is supposed to mean.

Edit: I just listened to "(Sometimes) Pleasure Heads Must Burn" from the Birthday Party's "John Peel Sessions." Any less "laid-back" and I might die.
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 35

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Posts
1,715
Likes
11
Yes there's more.
smily_headphones1.gif


I started there, then went to a bunch of RSA amps, then an Lavry DA10, then a Headamp GS-1 w/DACT... I finally forced myself to stop.

I can't imagine what would happen if I heard an apache.
smily_headphones1.gif


Enjoy what you have.

GAD
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 35

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
My Micro Amp & DAC are beside each other, so not a 'Microstack'. What shall I call them?
tongue.gif
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 35

riverlethe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Posts
484
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Micro Amp & DAC are beside each other, so not a 'Microstack'. What shall I call them?
tongue.gif



Micro-sprawl?

Edit: You like them with Opeth?
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 35

riverlethe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Posts
484
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there's more.
smily_headphones1.gif


I started there, then went to a bunch of RSA amps, then an Lavry DA10, then a Headamp GS-1 w/DACT... I finally forced myself to stop.

I can't imagine what would happen if I heard an apache.
smily_headphones1.gif


Enjoy what you have.

GAD



And, have you noticed an improvement?
tongue.gif


Seriously, though, is it possible to get as big a jump from this as I made from un-amped HD497's out of an X-fi?
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 35

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
2,055
Likes
14
You made a huge jump. Now the differences will definitely be there, but a LOT more subtle. The high end you get, you spend more money and the differences in sound quality become more and more subtle. Some even call little tweaks ...
 
Aug 29, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 35

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: You like them with Opeth?




I like anything with Opeth!
wink.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top