HD650 headphones creaking (seeking advice)
Nov 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Asterra

New Head-Fier

I've seen at least one other person post about identical issues with these headphones.  After biting the bullet and getting a pair, I've been able to ignore the persistently uncomfortable clamp (or temporarily solve it by forcing the headband wide open overnight).  I've been able to live with the subdued highs which I now recognize as the "dark" problem these headphones are known for.

But I cannot deal with the creaking.  When I put them on, I don't have to double-check whether I got them on backwards accidentally, because I can instantly tell by the creaking in the left cup.  When I move my head just a little bit, it creaks.  The grind seems to originate from the hinge that enables the vertical pivoting.  It's plastic on plastic.  The other cup is 100% silent.  (Although they both do an all too exceptional job of transmitting the sound of the cable rubbing on things.)  The creaking transmits as quite loud pops - generally louder than whatever I'm actually listening to at the time.

Would love to know if there's some operation I could perform.  Like somehow taking the hinge apart to apply some sort of lubricant that not only doesn't have an odor but also won't destroy the headphones. ;p  Barring that, well.  You guys are experts.  I'm merely someone who bought some headphones.  I know enough to ask questions where people will be able to help, and that's about it.

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 23
I've narrowed down the culprit.  Observe here:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/images/catalog/sennheiser-hd650-side-view.jpg

Both cups have a plastic rim encircling them on the outside.  This rim is of course interrupted by the hinge which enables the vertical adjustment.  I already knew the hinge was somehow the problem.  Close inspection revealed why.  The actual interruption of the plastic rim is a very narrow slit shaped like a parenthesis: (  .  On three of these parenthesis-shaped slits (both on the right cup and one on the left), there is enough of a gap that the two sides never rub against one another.  On the fourth slit, the two sides perpetually grind against each other.

Bad, cheap manufacturing.  Almost certainly the culprit in every other case of creaking people have reported with these headphones.

Now I still need a solution.  I don't have a problem with the thought of mutilating that portion of these headphones if it will provide relief from the intolerable creaking.  But how would I go about doing it?  A file has no place to fit inside the slit.  I don't see melting as a solution with a happy ending.  I'm at a bit of a loss.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 23
Why are you contemplating mutilation? Wherever plastic meets plastic there's binding, which means creaking. A touch of oil or RP7 or even vaseline (any kind of lubricant really) will solve the problem instantly.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 23
Ha ha, I posted about this issue a while ago when the creaking on the left side almost drove me mad. It still creaks but thankfully it stopped being a distraction.

pp312 - good to see you around these neck of the woods. I feared the ruckus had driven you away.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 23
I asked about lubricant solutions already and never really got any sort of reply.  Anyway, it wouldn't be a permanent solution, could end up adding an odor, and for all I know might even slowly damage the plastic.  I'd also have to be careful not to touch that part of the headphones anymore. ;p  There also doesn't seem to be any way to actually fully lubricate the slit as it is rather tightly shut and the hinge doesn't allow enough movement for one to get at more than about 20% of the affected surface area.

Since this is a physical defect, I don't have a problem solving it by means of a physical correction.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
I asked about lubricant solutions already and never really got any sort of reply.  Anyway, it wouldn't be a permanent solution, could end up adding an odor, and for all I know might even slowly damage the plastic.  I'd also have to be careful not to touch that part of the headphones anymore. ;p  There also doesn't seem to be any way to actually fully lubricate the slit as it is rather tightly shut and the hinge doesn't allow enough movement for one to get at more than about 20% of the affected surface area.

Since this is a physical defect, I don't have a problem solving it by means of a physical correction.

It will be a permanent solution, will not add odour and will not damage the plastic. I can't say much more than that. I had the same trouble and put a drop of oil on all points where plastic touched, wiped off all the excess and have never had a problem since. As for fully lubricating, a drop of oil will get into any slit if you give it a few minutes. And for heaven's sake, don't go cutting anything or glueing anything together. You'll be sorry afterwards, and no one will lend you a shoulder to cry on.  

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
pp312 - good to see you around these neck of the woods. I feared the ruckus had driven you away.

Ruckus? Have I missed something? Please explain.

No, I don't post here much anymore simply because the subjects don't interest me much. I now have an Audeze LCD-2, so really the only subject that interests me these days is, is the Rev 2 a worthwhile upgrade over the Rev 1 for someone who's previous phone was an HD650? Anyone care to start another thread on that subject.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 23
Powdered teflon will solve it, no smell and does not make a mess.
Available at hobby stores.
Powedered graphite works too, but it can be messy.
Mine haven't creaked since.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 23
I had the same problem with my recently purchased refrubs. I applied a drop of my teflon based bicycle-chain wax and it seems to have fixed the problem.  No smell once it dried.  I have a habit of chewing gum while I work so this was driving me nuts.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 23
only creaking i get on mine is when i wear my glasses.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 23
I have never heard the creakig on my HD650s, but i will pay closer attention.

One solution, that will be odorless and does not use oils would be to use Graphite.  You can buy a tube of it from most hobby stores for a couple bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back