HD650 headband padding uncomfortable
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Armadillo

New Head-Fier
I don't know if it's because I've started to wear my HD650's for longer now - by longer I just mean 2-3 hours, but I find them really uncomfortable, to such a degree that they'll leave a mark on the top of my head. Yeah, I'm bald so I don't have natural padding either lol.

Particularly the opening in the middle of the padding does no good. 

Is it possible that the padding has lost it's density somehow? I find that a bit odd.

Just for reference I'm talking about this bit...

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Everyone's head is different, so what may be comfortable for some (like me, the HD600 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever used) may be painful for others.

If you are having pain, extend the length of the headband on each side.  There is enough clamping force and contour that the headphones will still stay on your head.  This will get the headband a little more off your scalp and will reduce the pain.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 10
Hodgjy: I find that the cans are rather loose if I extend them and they easily wobble back and forth, so I don't really want to extend them.

Thujone: Funny, I was just looking at those on ebay an hour ago. Looks well padded. I just have a feeling the leather is be uncomfortable during the summer as I could imagine you start to sweat. I can't say I'm a bit fan of leather on my skin. But sure, sweating is preferable to pain. I can't seem to find them in UK either, although I could certainly order from US, I'd just prefer not to wait that long for delivery.

Has no one else had same problem with padding?
Just wondering if buying a replacement headband pad (original one) won't solve my problem?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Hodgjy: I find that the cans are rather loose if I extend them and they easily wobble back and forth, so I don't really want to extend them.

Thujone: Funny, I was just looking at those on ebay an hour ago. Looks well padded. I just have a feeling the leather is be uncomfortable during the summer as I could imagine you start to sweat. I can't say I'm a bit fan of leather on my skin. But sure, sweating is preferable to pain. I can't seem to find them in UK either, although I could certainly order from US, I'd just prefer not to wait that long for delivery.

Has no one else had same problem with padding?
Just wondering if buying a replacement headband pad (original one) won't solve my problem?

You may be able to try a HD600 pad instead of a 650 pad. I'm not totally certain that they are interchangeable (you'd have to look into it) but I know they are at least different.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I got this for my HD580:

http://www.beyerdynamiconline.com/Product.asp?Prd=990681

works like a charm and fits perfectly.

That's the same one Thujone mentioned but thanks for a UK link.
£6 postage - that almost doubles the price
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I don't know if it's because I've started to wear my HD650's for longer now - by longer I just mean 2-3 hours, but I find them really uncomfortable, to such a degree that they'll leave a mark on the top of my head. Yeah, I'm bald so I don't have natural padding either lol.

Particularly the opening in the middle of the padding does no good. 

Is it possible that the padding has lost it's density somehow? I find that a bit odd.

Just for reference I'm talking about this bit...

The HD 650 headband was specially designed so as *not* to be uncomfortable.

That's why it has the "opening" in the middle - to avoid putting any pressure on the part of the head that is the most sensitive.

It may be that the foam has disintegrated as it does do this over time - like any foam does.

Have a feel and see.

But the foam pads are replaceable - and, if you really don't like the 650 pad, the 580 and 600 pads will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back