HD650 headband crack -how to fix it?
Oct 19, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
Last night I dusted-off my old pair of HD650 to be sold to someone I know, but unfortunately, I found a small crack in the center of the headband, as you will see in the picture below.
hbbk1sh2.jpg

At first, the paint chipped, and now it cracked.

My question is what's a good way to fix it?

Someone said the headbands of HD580, 600 and 650 are interchangeable, so I could order a cheap replacement headband for HD580 and it'll do the job.

I searched through Sennheiser's site but couldn't find the headband available for order, so I guess I may have to make a call to order the part, right? However, I don't live in the US, so even if I make a call, I don't think they would send me the part, so getting it from Sennheiser might not be possible for me. Is there any other source where I can get this piece?

And if I don't care about the look, what's the best cheap way to fix it?
I'm thinking about using 2 pieces of aluminum and screw them to the upper (Sennheiser logo) and lower (beneath the pad) of the headband to secure the crack. Yes, it will look like crap, but I don't mind if it works, as this one is my back-up phones anyway, but I don't know if this is the best way to fix it.

I also found from my search that QQQ broke his long time ago and managed to fix it very neatly. I may PM him asking about his method.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for the replies.

AudioDwebe, this is from normal use. Actually, when I first got it (8 months ago), I stretched them using some books, but I don't think that's matter since it's almost a year prior to this incident.

So I could just use epoxy glue to bridge the gap, right?

In doing so, do I need to disassemble the phones (I mean remove the pad)?

If the pad is required to be removed, how could I disassemble the headband? Someone said using screwdriver to pry both of those "Made in Ireland" plastic, remove the metal holding the elements and slide the pad out. Is this a correct way?

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 22
I don't see why any disassembly is required. What I would do is the following:

1. Get some quick-harden or medium-harden epoxy.
2. Pour it out and mix it.
3. Grab a toothpick and stir it up.
4. Use said toothpick to spread a very tiny amount in that crack. Just enough to fill.
5. Let it dry.
6. ????
7. PROFIT!

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 22
I tried epoxy, but it seemed it couldn't hold it. Maybe contact area is so narrow and the force when headband is stretched is massive, so that a small drop can't hold.

Is there any better alternative?

By the way, anyone please let me know how to disassemble the headband, as I think I seriously need to apply the glue from the inside.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 22
I think you'd need to apply reinforcing strips to glue it successfully.
If you're selling them, offer it to the buyer as-is or get the correct replacement part. That's what I'd do anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif

4. Use said toothpick to spread a very tiny amount in that crack. Just enough to fill.
5. Let it dry.
6. ????
7. PROFIT!

LOL

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif

5. Let it dry.
6. ????
7. PROFIT!

Prowling around 4chan I see eh?

Hello cancer.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 22
Very Easy bro.

Just use Krazy Glue, forget super glue thats rubbish. Krazy Glue is original Japanese technology.

It literally sticks anything but be carefull once it sticks it will not let go so be verycarefull using this kinda glue it sticks withon 2 seconds and does not let go after.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 22
Well, I couldn't find that Krazy Glue where I live, so I went with Super Glue instead. And the result? As you can guess, didn't work.

No matter which type of glue I use, it cracks everytime when the headphones are stretched, and I mean stretch from normal use (put them on my head).

Man, I'm really out of idea now. I wish I could order the part, but it's not easy as I don't live in the States.

Any suggestion regarding how to fix it, how to order the headband from overseas, or any other useful idea would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 22
Hey man, sorry to see your phones damaged like that.. personally I don't really see how any glue will work now, since gluing things together gets exponentially harder the more times you try to re-glue it, that part of the headband seems like it would be the most stressed to make things worse.

The only thing I would suggest now would be to get a new headband, I could be a middleman for you if you can't get it any other way.. most places that carry the phones should be able to order the part locally.. but let me know if you need a hand.
beerchug.gif

edit: I forgot to mention duct tape! that will probably work but may end up a little flimsy and not so pretty
duct-tape-man-tm.jpg

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man, sorry to see your phones damaged like that.. personally I don't really see how any glue will work now, since gluing things together gets exponentially harder the more times you try to re-glue it, that part of the headband seems like it would be the most stressed to make things worse.

The only thing I would suggest now would be to get a new headband, I could be a middleman for you if you can't get it any other way.. most places that carry the phones should be able to order the part locally.. but let me know if you need a hand.
beerchug.gif

edit: I forgot to mention duct tape! that will probably work but may end up a little flimsy and not so pretty
duct-tape-man-tm.jpg

Thanks again man, for your kind offer.

However, I'll try my best to work it out myself before troubling you.

By the way, yesterday I removed the foam covering the voice coil magnet (backside of the phones under the grill) and the old pair has never sounded this great! I mean, bass, treble and mid are better. Comparing with the new version + Equinox, I think I can say the old one sounds very very good (I even slightly prefer it to the new one + Equinox).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back