HD650 / HD600 / HD580 - Comfortable, Uncomfortable, or Fractured?
Sep 17, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #32 of 54
Before I first got my 595s, I read a review that said they were actually more comfortable than the 650s. Unfortunately, I found out they were right when I got my 650s. I would wear the 595s for hours on end and not feel my head overly squeezed or weighted, or my ear suffocated. This was not entirely my experience with the 650s.
After making your suggested adjustment, the 650s were significantly more comfortable to wear.
However, tthey are still not as comfortable as the 595s. At first I thought this was due to the 650s outweighing the 595s, but Sennheiser lists the 650s ten grams south of the 595s. Perhaps it is because of their plastic, more flimsy build, but even to my hand the 595s weigh more. If there is really only a ten gram difference (260 vs. 270g), my assumptive (placebo) stance could easily outweigh the real difference. It seems to me that both cans share a very similar range of motion adjusting to the head, so I'm curious why the 650s still feel less comfortable, even after they're just as 'loose' as the 595s.
Does this mean I'll be spending anymore time with 595s than the 650s? No. It does, however, mean I will be spending less straight hours with the 650s on my head as their pressure builds noticeably for me.

1time: Thank you very much for taking your time in making this post. The adjustment didn't make my 650s the most comfortable set of cans I've ever worn, but it really, really helped. I would definitely recommend doing it for anyone who think that their 650s might in any way be too tight. Thanks much!

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #33 of 54
Theres a thread regarding Sennheiser comfort?! lol. The comfort of HS 580/600/650 is simply the best. I can wear them for infinity and never have a slight amount of discomfort. Best designed cans ever.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #34 of 54
I adjusted them as you described and they fit like a charm now. They were seriously vise grips when I first got them.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #35 of 54
Extremely painful out of the box, adjusted following suggestion in this thread and now they fit fine.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #36 of 54
The HD600 have been very comfy from the second I put them on. I can wear them for hours on end without ANY comfort issues, including getting overheated. I don't know how you sweat wearing cans as open as these, unless you are listening in a sauna.

I did, however, have a pair of HD650s that I just sold that clamped pretty hard on my head. I didn't use them enough to really loosen them up. I also think the headband cushioning is more comfortable on the 600s compared to the 650s.

BTW, I do have a pretty big head.

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lolbroke. HD650 for the lose. It has a sony MDR-F1 band now:

twcu4.jpg

im not a fan of sony phones, especially their headstraps looks like u found a good strap model that must be rare

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #39 of 54
You can't possibly break the headband of these headphones IF you only extend and bend the metal parts of it. To break the headband, you have to bend or torque the plastic part. And apparently this actually can happen as a result of NOT properly adjusting these headphones when new (as the poll seems to indicate).

A new HD650, HD600, and HD580 is bound to fit tight (or loose) on many. And so if needed these headphones should be properly adjusted when new. How to do this is described in the original post of this thread. Failure to loosen these headphones if tight will contribute to the premature degradation of the ear pads and possibly contribute to the eventual fracture of the headband.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #41 of 54
As a side issue, what alternative ear pads will fit our HD600/650?

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #44 of 54
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #45 of 54
  Thanks!

The clamp force of my new HD 600s really detracted me from my music. With your fix, I not only didn't risk breaking the plastic part, but now I can really focus on the music!

Be thankful you've never had to deal with the clamp on the HD 280. The HD 600 is a complete walk in the park compared to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back