HD600's - what veil?
May 21, 2005 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SptsNaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I finally got the Senn's from that Amazon deal posted here earlier and all I can say is... wow. I don't know if it's my amp, but I definitely can't hear the "veil" that everyone complains about here so frequently. Even with the stock cable, and right out of the box, these things are amazingly smooth. In my opinion they do absolutely everything right, excluding maybe the heaviest of rock. Soundstage is dramatically larger than with my ety's, and the instruments sound much more "real" in comparison. There's a certain airiness that the ety's completely lack, although I find the ety's excel in their own way. Also, contrary to what I previously believed, these actually sound good with old recordings.

If it is the amp (haven't yet tried them directly out of a headphone jack), then I salute headamp. If not then the whole laid back thing is a bit too overstated here at head-fi. They certainly don't sound as if I'm sitting 10 rows behind the stage

By the way, could it be possible that they are already burned in since I bought them refurbished? They look brand new, but they don't really sound as harsh as some of my other headphones did right out of the box

Just some short comments...

May 21, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 8
I never heard any veil with my HD600 either. They sound (and measure) quite accurate. These phones really kill, they're the best !

People tend to like colored headphones, so the relatively flat and accurate HD600 doesn't give them the "feel" they like when listening to more colored headphones. Many (but not all) headfiers like Grados, K240S, DT-770 and other "exciting" phones which bias their opinion in regards to what should be seeked when buying headphones. In my mind, it's totally useless to buy an headphone for fun, since the point in listening to music is accuracy and flatness.

May 21, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 8
They are my reference headphones right now. Whether it's voices, drums, pianos, guitars, I'm always amazed at how close to a natural 'real life' sound they produce. This comes from a musician and frequent symphony go-er.

At first I thought maybe there was a veil, when compared to the Grados I was coming from for so many years... but then when I forced myself to use the HD600's for a while, and upgrade their cable to a Mogami Neglex DIY one... going back to the Grados seemed kind of artificial, and I found it all too easy to be reminded I was listening to headphones. With the Senns I just forget about it and let the music dominate my thoughts because they are so transparent.

May 21, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
In my mind, it's totally useless to buy an headphone for fun, since the point in listening to music is accuracy and flatness.

Personally, I think the point in listening to music is for enjoyment, and whatever headphone delivers that is the one for you. Just my opinion, of course.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 8
mine are gona be here next week, $150 shipped no tax, that's gota be the hi-fi bargain of the century.

May 21, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Personally, I think the point in listening to music is for enjoyment, and whatever headphone delivers that is the one for you. Just my opinion, of course.
biggrin.gif

I think what philco means is all we are left with is the Hp-series phones
rs1smile.gif

Wonder what other headfiers think who have he90's, Qualia's, Omega 2's, Ps-1's would have to say about it
wink.gif
i wouldn't consider those phones as tonally accurate or flat.

May 21, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
In my mind, it's totally useless to buy an headphone for fun, since the point in listening to music is accuracy and flatness.

Well, you certainly have your opinions, though, from following your posts in the derailed Headroom thread, not a whole lot of experience actually listening to a lot of high-end phones.

I loved my HD600. I regret giving them to a friend, and think they had a worthy place among all the other high-end phones that have graced this apartment.

As for them not being "veiled" - I'm glad the original poster enjoys their sonic signature and doesn't find them lacking. I didn't think they were veiled either, until I borrowed/bought some high end Sony cans for extended listening. To a lesser degree, I heard a "lifting" of the veil when I got my HD650/Zu.

Though these PS-1 I've got on right now certainly aren't veiled. I like them, though I imagine more than a few Senn owners would cringe in pain at how forward/in-your-face they are.

Either way, Senns being veiled, K 1000 being bright - it's all irrelevant to me. They're all great phones with their own character. Boo to boring headphones (which the HD600 are not)!

Best,

-Jason

May 21, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Well, I finally got the Senn's from that Amazon deal posted here earlier and all I can say is... wow. I don't know if it's my amp, but I definitely can't hear the "veil" that everyone complains about here so frequently. Even with the stock cable, and right out of the box, these things are amazingly smooth. In my opinion they do absolutely everything right, excluding maybe the heaviest of rock. Soundstage is dramatically larger than with my ety's, and the instruments sound much more "real" in comparison. There's a certain airiness that the ety's completely lack, although I find the ety's excel in their own way. Also, contrary to what I previously believed, these actually sound good with old recordings.

If it is the amp (haven't yet tried them directly out of a headphone jack), then I salute headamp. If not then the whole laid back thing is a bit too overstated here at head-fi. They certainly don't sound as if I'm sitting 10 rows behind the stage

By the way, could it be possible that they are already burned in since I bought them refurbished? They look brand new, but they don't really sound as harsh as some of my other headphones did right out of the box

Just some short comments...

Congratulations! You got some sweet cans. Yes, it's entirely possibly that you got refurbished cans that were broken in, shipped back to Sennheiser for one reason or another, cleaned, tested, and shipped back out to you. Save you some trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole laid-back thing IS often overstated. Once you're in the 600 class, differences between cans are no longer very great... but they become magnified as we strain to justify additional purchases...
smily_headphones1.gif
No offense intended, I do this myself and imagine others do.

Enjoy your 600s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back