HD600 vs HD650 and Cheap Dac
Jul 5, 2018 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SquishFish

New Head-Fier
I'm all set to buy either hd-600's or hd-650's but can't decide between them. I heard that 650's have more bass then the 600's which is a must for me, but the price is a lot more. I am more then willing to spend more for better sound quality, but I want an honest opinion of which one sounds better.
I also need a dac but don't want to spend too much. If you could link me some dacs that are under 50$ I would appreciate it!

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Look into the HD6xx which can be found on Massdrop for $200.00,or used for around $180.00...its essentially the same as the Hd650. Im actually listening to my pair as I type,great rich,detailed,full sound.

DAC for under 50.00? None worth it that I know of. I suggest you save and buy something decent. I have a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for sale,two months old.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-modi-2-uber-two-months-old-like-new.883186/

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Well the 650’s aren’t bass monsters but yes more bass than the 600’s. They have the same tonality but different frequency responses. The 600 is more to neutral and the 650 has the top end rolled off a bit but I think more musical. They both will need a decent amp though not just a dac. I would bypass the dac if you only have $50 to spend as most computers and phones should be just fine unless you’re getting a bunch of noise. I would not recommend either one of those if you don’t have a amp either they need it in my opinion which one is another story but do think they need a amp to get the most from them.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I would not recommend either one of those if you don’t have a amp either they need it in my opinion which one is another story but do think they need a amp to get the most from them.
I second this opinion.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 6
If it was me I would look for a different headphone. There is plenty in you price range and don’t need a amp. The Soundmagic HP200 comes to mind very nice headphones and not hard to drive. Another would be the HE-400S also a very nice headphone for the money and like the 650’s the highs are rolled off a bit but does have good mids not as good as the 650’s but can be run from a phone but do respond from a bit more power. Just a few options as I do like the 650’s and to a lesser extent the 600’s they do need a amp.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm all set to buy either hd-600's or hd-650's but can't decide between them. I heard that 650's have more bass then the 600's which is a must for me, but the price is a lot more. I am more then willing to spend more for better sound quality, but I want an honest opinion of which one sounds better.

You can get the HD6XX from Massdrop since it's basically the HD650.

I am more then willing to spend more for better sound quality, but I want an honest opinion of which one sounds better.

Sound quality is highly subjective even if you're going by objective metrics, since nothing is purely flat and therefore whichever is more high fidelity comes down to "which compromises does a specific user want to go with."

In your case if you want bass then the HD650 is better than the HD600. That said, puttig denser earpads on the HD600 can do that too, although that entails a bit more work, on top of which, you'd be stuck with the marble finish on the HD600. I personally didn't mind that, on top of which I got it cheap, but I have Brainwavz HM5 angled pads on it and I EQ the 3500hz peak so I'm basically on the HD650, so if you ask me which is better sound-wise, I'm practically voting HD650.

There's also the HD58X from Massdrop, which is basically a rebadged HD600.

I also need a dac but don't want to spend too much. If you could link me some dacs that are under 50$ I would appreciate it!

You can't just hook up a headphone to a DAC, you need a headphone amp, either a standalone unit or built into the same chassis/circuit board as the DAC.

Either way anything you can get for $50 isn't going to be worth it. What power you get won't be considerably higher than what a smartphone or motherboard will provide (much less compared to a $60 Sound Blaster Z if you have any spare PCI sockets), and wouldn't be markedly cleaner either unless you have a really crappy motherboard. If your motherboard happens to be one of the newer Gaming boards, or if you have a Macbook, a $50 DAC might even be worse.

There's the Fiio Q1 (version 1) that used to sell for $65 but even that one trails off power delivery at 300ohms, though it will probably be cleaner vs crap laptops and motherboards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back