HD600: Stock cable or HD650's Cable?
Nov 17, 2008 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

2nd thread on HD600 but no choice..i am really nervous because this will be my first real big buy.

if u had the choice to buy HD600 with Stock cable or HD600 with HD650's cable.. Both at same price.

which one will u choose?

and why?

i have a very limited knowledge with cables and how they affect the headphone

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 33
I ll be mainly using my headphones for music.

but i am a competitive Gamer as well...for Gaming HD555 were very good...precise imaging and soundstage.

How are HD600 for Gaming?

yes i do use DAC and Desktop amp with my laptop.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 33
The HD650 cable is slightly better. Sound is a bit fuller, soundstage a bit better. Slightly, but noticable. For the price it is a no brainer for a nice improvement.
HD600 are good, enjoy them.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 33
thank u for quick reply.

i have lot of EM emitting devices in room so i guess better insulation will be a good choice.

also i do Gaming so better soundstage is better

also if someone can reply to my other thread.

getting them day after tomorrow..damn excited

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 33
My friend said his HD650 imporved after connecting the HD600 cable. I rate higher the stock HD600's than the stock HD650's, what to blame? I had two bad experiences with the HD650 cable. First it made my HD25-1's sound slightly birghter and lifeless than with the stock cable, second time the cable was not quite perfect with the Creative Aurvana Life. I'd say the HD650 cable does something weird to the trebles making them confined and too polite, however YMMV.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend said his HD650 imporved after connecting the HD600 cable. I rate higher the stock HD600's than the stock HD650's, what to blame? I had two bad experiences with the HD650 cable. First it made my HD25-1's sound slightly birghter and lifeless than with the stock cable, second time the cable was not quite perfect with the Creative Aurvana Life. I'd say the HD650 cable does something weird to the trebles making them confined and too polite, however YMMV.

I'm with majkel on this one. My experience using the HD600 w/the HD650 cable was a thinner, less lively and less dynamic presentation compared to running the HD600 with their stock cable.

EDIT: As a rejoinder to apatN's (apparent) non-experiential conjecture, the perceived difference was pronounced and easily noticable.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always heard the HD650 was better.

I guess it was heavy head-fi reading.
evil_smiley.gif
I use my ears more often instead of trusting another discovery from here. There is more of such mods and improvements discussed here but lots of people do them without a grain of criticism and applaud each change as the improvement.
Quote:

The difference is probably really small.

My friend heard none on his HD600's, another one mentioned before (headphone amplifier builder) found the HD600's cable as a rescue for his HD650's and looks like you don't necessarily have to grab the Zu Mobius.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 33
The 600 cable terminates with an 1/8 inch plug, the 650 with a 1/4inch plug. Adapters are a pain (especially when you can't find one), so I would get the one that matches up with the equipment with which you're going to use them with most often. The 650 cable looks way cooler if that makes a difference.

BTW insulation won't protect you from EM emitting devices.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600 cable terminates with an 1/8 inch plug, the 650 with a 1/4inch plug. Adapters are a pain (especially when you can't find one), so I would get the one that matches up with the equipment with which you're going to use them with most often. The 650 cable looks way cooler if that makes a difference.

BTW insulation won't protect you from EM emitting devices.

are u sure? my hd600 terminates in a 1/4 plug... and its stock cable

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are u sure? my hd600 terminates in a 1/4 plug... and its stock cable

My old hd600 came with 1/8 plug too. That picture in the next post looks like it has the adapter on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back