HD600 Shorter Cable Advice?
Nov 4, 2008 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rennwerkes

100+ Head-Fier
Newbie here but have fooled around with headphone since the 80's.
Just got myself a nice set of HD600's and was wondering if anyone could suggest a reasonably price set of replacement cables with a 1/8" connector?
I know there are the crazy expensive upgrade cables but all I need is one that is about six feet long. The stock one is ridiculously long and gets in the way of everything and I really don't want to spend hundreds of $'s either.
Thanks!

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Buy a replacement HD-650 cable (Sennheiser USA - H-92885 - Product Details) for $11.75, cut it to the length you want, then reterminate it with a nice Neutrik 1/8" jack (Neutrik 1/8" Mini Plug/Jack connectors Phone (Telephone) 1/4", Mini, TT, Patch Connectors, Plugs, Jacks, XLR, Power Cable, Connectors, Wire, Optical Accessories & Parts & Hardware Products from Full Compass) that sells for about $1.

If you're not comfortable doing the retermination, ask around in the DIY section for a cable builder. There are a number of them here and I'm sure one of them will be happy to do it for a few dollars and shipping. It's an easy job, probably 10-15 minutes at most.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 12
have you considered purchasing a stock cable from sennheiser cutting off about 5 feet and soldering on a new plug?

head-direct.com used to sell a 5ft custom cable for about $60, but it doesn't seem to be on the website at the moment, maybe send them an email.

edit: oops too slow

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 12
Yup, that looks like what I'll be doing.
Seems like the most practical approach and from what I understand, for some reason the HD650 cable is better than the HD600 cable and cheaper!
Any thoughts on replacing the ends with Cardas? Where to buy?
While I'm not a huge believer in using better cable (mainly justifying the cost) but do believe in a better connection.
Thanks for the advice.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Cool! Thanks again for the info.
Now I just need a good reasonably priced portable amp!:
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 12
FiiO E3, extremely cheap and especially if you want to use it on the move it fits in your pocket no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back